Can't Pass this Deal Up! Need Advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cherry Barb

Aquarium Advice Activist
Getting 55g setup. Tank, stand, set up and inhabitants. (Which include 2 sharks 2 Gouramis and one other I'm not sure about. I will be picking it up tonight. The plan is to drain the water into a large bucket, (5 gal minimum for the fish) and then transport them in the bucket to my home. Then I gotta do a hurried set up. This sound good or have I missed something?

Any of you experienced in moving tanks I need all the help I can get.

Thanks,

Rose

I moved my 55 gallon down to my basement last week. Make sure you have everything you need. Get the Python set up if you have one. Get a buckets ready and you'll take all decorations out, drain tank (while siphoning gravel) to about half and then catch the fish and put them in the bucket. drain the rest of the water. Scoop gravel with a big plastic cup (works best IME) into large container/bucket. Try to get all or most of the gravel. Unplug everything before hand of course. Then carry the tank and stand out and everything else. When you get to where you're going, set the stand and tank up and then set everything else back up and before you know it you'll be set back up! Word of advice, get lids for the buckets so that when you're driving, water won't slosh all over your car. Good luck! Maybe someone has better ideas than me...but that's the way I did it. Just make sure everything like the gravel and filter media stay moist so that the bacteria doesn't die.

I only have a 10 gallon, but I used a cooler to transport the fish, it worked great for me, it kept the temp from changing too much, was pretty easy to carry with the handles, and the lid was water-proof.

Just be sure and empty that tank, as mentioned, because it is not going to be able to withstand being carried if it has any gravel in it.

Even if you are trying to do this in a hurry... Take your time! A lot of mistakes can happen if you try to rush everything. The fish will be fine in a bucket for quite a while (days even, in the right situation). Toss an airstone in the bucket to help the fish out, and take all the time you need to get the new setup in place.

and also make sure you dont drop it :).

good luck and make sure you have fun! :)

Well, almost 11:00 pm and finally I'm set up. (Only took 5+ hours. Not too bad) Just jumped out of the shower and I'm getting ready to post a new topic or two. Let's see who's up to the challenge....cause I'm pooped :wink:

Back
Top Bottom