Can't see you!-Cloudy water...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

insecurity

Aquarium Advice Activist
So yeah. I got cloudly water.
Don't understand it either- no huge water parameter changes (at most .1 to .2 pH change) and I'm absolutely anal about water changes.
It's been bothering me to the point where I've seriously considered buying some API Accu-Clear, which I don't really want to do.

Any natural way of eliminating cloudly water? Take into consideration I don't have access to crushed corals. A local, small, home run fish store owner told me to suspend a filter bag of charcoal in my filter.

Clearing Cloudy Tank Water

So yeah. I got cloudly water.
Don't understand it either- no huge water parameter changes (at most .1 to .2 pH change) and I'm absolutely anal about water changes.
It's been bothering me to the point where I've seriously considered buying some API Accu-Clear, which I don't really want to do.

Any natural way of eliminating cloudly water? Take into consideration I don't have access to crushed corals. A local, small, home run fish store owner told me to suspend a filter bag of charcoal in my filter.

Hello in...

If you have a new tank, then the dissolved chemicals in the water and those the fish and plants produce can cloud the water. Over time, the chemistry will settle and the water will clear.

You can do a series of small, 20 percent water changes every day for a week or 10 days and do a good job of vacuuming the substrate.

Add an HOB (hang on the back) power filter. Add a dense polyfiber to the filter. The fiber will attract and hold particles in the water.

Don't feed the fish too much. A little, twice weekly is enough. Too much food dissolved in the tank water can cause algae problems and that can cloud the water.

Get some plants into the tank. Anacharis is a good, natural water filter. Some others are Pennywort, Water sprite and Water wisteria.

Don't use chemicals. They can stress your fish, damage plants and potentially kill good bacteria. Not worth it.

Be patient and try some of these.

B

Hello in...

If you have a new tank, then the dissolved chemicals in the water and those the fish and plants produce can cloud the water. Over time, the chemistry will settle and the water will clear.

You can do a series of small, 20 percent water changes every day for a week or 10 days and do a good job of vacuuming the substrate.

Add an HOB (hang on the back) power filter. Add a dense polyfiber to the filter. The fiber will attract and hold particles in the water.

Don't feed the fish too much. A little, twice weekly is enough. Too much food dissolved in the tank water can cause algae problems and that can cloud the water.

Get some plants into the tank. Anacharis is a good, natural water filter. Some others are Pennywort, Water sprite and Water wisteria.

Don't use chemicals. They can stress your fish, damage plants and potentially kill good bacteria. Not worth it.

Be patient and try some of these.

B

The tank is 3 months old- fully cycled, taking in the cycling time- 4 months, so I doubt (although not ruling out) its a dissolving chemical problem.
My water change schedule is is anywhere between 16-27% water change weekly- should I be doing more?
As for the filter...do you think I should be running two HOBs?

As for the food-about a week ago my cousin was over, and she asked me if she could feed the fish. She gave them waaaay too much. So much I had to do an emergency 50% water change.
I also feed a small pinch (although maybe I need to work on my pinch...) every day. Could this be caused by overfeeding?

As for planted tanks- I don't really care for them.

Cloudy Tank Water

Hello again...

3 months isn't very long. As I recall, with my first, larger tank, it took several months before the water chemistry was established and I had consistently clear water.

Small water changes really don't do much to keep the water stable. I change out half the water in my tank every week and make sure the filter media is checked too. I run two HOBs, both the same size. It helps maintain a healthy level of good bacteria to handle the dissolved wastes.

Fish have small stomachs and can easily go a couple of weeks without food. In nature, they're lucky to eat once a week. I feed a little, twice a week and a variety that's eaten in a minute or two. Too much food, causes algae problems.

B

Hello again...

3 months isn't very long. As I recall, with my first, larger tank, it took several months before the water chemistry was established and I had consistently clear water.

Small water changes really don't do much to keep the water stable. I change out half the water in my tank every week and make sure the filter media is checked too. I run two HOBs, both the same size. It helps maintain a healthy level of good bacteria to handle the dissolved wastes.

Fish have small stomachs and can easily go a couple of weeks without food. In nature, they're lucky to eat once a week. I feed a little, twice a week and a variety that's eaten in a minute or two. Too much food, causes algae problems.

B

Wow- haven't fed in two days and did a 50% water change. MUCH BETTER. Thanks bro.
Keep those fish wet. :fish2:

Back
Top Bottom