Can't seem to keep up with degrading water quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skitty

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I can't seem to keep up with degrading water quality. Can you help me figure out what's wrong?

In a 180 gallon tank I have:
- A partition
- 2 Canisters SunSun HW-3000 (rated 793ghp each), such that there is flow across partition. In those I have polyester floss, medium-fine filter foam, and a bunch of plastic kitchen scrubbies. (no porous biofilter media though...)
- Natural "peace river" gravel, inert rocks, quite a few plants.
- 8-inch Oscar
- 6 congo tetras, 9 silvertip tetras, 6 phantom tetras, 4 hillstream loaches, 20-ish guppies, 2 juvenile pearl gouramies, 5 amano shrimp, 4 dwarf crayfish, 1 mystery snail, some pest snails

If you estimate conservatively that the smaller fish are average 2 inches each, then you still only have around 100 "fish-inches" in a 180 gallon tank. I used some other online calculator that also suggested I was not anywhere near being overstocked...

The oscar eats perhaps 20 pellets / day, the other fish are fed once per day and they consume all food fairly quickly except about 10-15 omega shrimp pellets that are consumed a bit later. Also some repashy that disappears over night.

I use a GH mineralizer and soft tap water at about ph 6.6.

I change just over 25% water each week, and rinse out the canisters every 2-3 months. I vacuum the gravel that is accessible, but much is covered by plants and rocks. In the past 6 months I have skipped one water change, and also my most recent water change today is 4 days later than usual.

I had an issue with canister prefilters that temporarily raised the ammonia 2 weeks ago, and I solved that with double water change and Seachem Prime and the water later tested fine... I removed the prefilters and have had good flow since then.

Today my PH was down to 6.0, at least 2 of my fish have fungal growths and nitrates are around 30-40ppm (in the past I was doing 10-20). That just seems excessive for 10 days.

qx4QmEG.jpg

Back
Top Bottom