carbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigmac1878

Aquarium Advice Activist
what does carbon in the filter do? i have a carbon pad in my filter because it was there when i bought it and i have continued to change it on a regular basis, but to be honest, i don't actually know what it does. i was told that it will help clear the tannins from driftwood, other than that, clueless.

It will remove meds from the water. IMO not necessary unless removing meds. I use filter floss, can purchase bulk from Walmart. Polyester pillow stuffing and much cheaper.

You don't need to use it on a regular basis. It does remove color and is handy to have on hand if you need to remove meds or some toxin that gets in your tank. Save your money, no need to use it and replace it on a regular basis.

More then just the Tannins, Activated Carbon removes dissolved organic compounds, which include the stuff that makes fish tanks smell.

http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/aquainfo/activated_carbon.html covers this in detail, and I got a minor anti Carbon vibe from him.

http://www.marineland.com/articles/17RevisActCarb.asp is an article by Tim Hovanec extolling the virtues of carbon. However, he is writing from the point of view of a saltwater aquarium, not a freshwater planted aquarium. I don't see anything in either article that carbon does that can't be done by a water change, but a water change in a saltwater tank may cost more per gallon then your 50% water change costs, total.

Many people on this forum have successfull tanks and use no carbon, so it can't be NEEDED. If you have yellow water or a fishy smell, you probably want to use it for at least a little bit. Fifteen years ago, I had a fairly successful planted aquarium and used carbon, so I know it won't destroy your tank.

It's up to you, but you'll probably be recommended against it.

not only tannins, but odors, meds, and any other colors, I don't like the carbon though, it goes bad after to short a time and doesn't do much for your nitrates, ammonia, nitries etc. if anything at all, from what I have researched and been told Seachems Purigen is t he king compared to carbon, it will polish a tank to a crystal clear view and removes nitrates, nitrites, ammonia and other impurities and last for up to 6 months, I'm still waiting on the stores to get some in

Back
Top Bottom