Carbon: Do you use it or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you use carbon in your filter(s) on a regular basis?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
G

I am curious to see how many people use carbon in their filters, how many do not, and the reasons why and why not.

I am talking aside from using it to remove medications that may have been used. Regular basis only.

well my filter has black rocks in it which i am guessing is charcoal and if charcoal is carbon then yes i use carbon but i dont know when to change it so im saying yes

Unless you have some serious water problems, carbon/activated charcoal serves no purpose. The carbon/charcoal is designed to removed minerals, metals, etc. I would recommend removing it and adding either an additional sponge/foam or bio-balls/pegs for bacterial colonies.

i still have the old carbon cartridges in there, but they are certainly no longer active after almost 2 years. i just use them for the filtration (the outside cover is very durable and traps detritis well). the only time i buy new carbon is post-medication treatment.

I stopped using it 4mos ago after reading a post by TG, who said she found using the space for floss more effective. She's right :)

My penguin mini filters have carbon in their cartridges, but I'm sure it is no longer effective after a few weeks. I change those cartridges every two - three months.

I have no carbon in my cannister filter.

My water changes are frequent enough, and my bioloads are low enough that I don't think I have any problems with dissolved organic compounds that charcoal filters are intended to remove. Since they lose effectiveness after a few weeks anyway, I just don't be bothered with them.

I do use fresh carbon in the Penguin mini in my hospital tank after I medicate, though.

i've read a couple articles that state a theory that prolonged use of activated carbon can contribute to "hole in the head" disease . I don't know if that is true , but i've read it in two completely different articles on my jouirney throughout the internet . But anyways , i don't use them unless i medicate , and i haven't medicated since i was a beginner , clean water cures all .

aquaxeden said:
i've read a couple articles that state a theory that prolonged use of activated carbon can contribute to "hole in the head" disease . I don't know if that is true , but i've read it in two completely different articles on my jouirney throughout the internet . But anyways , i don't use them unless i medicate , and i haven't medicated since i was a beginner , clean water cures all .

woh if you can provide references to that statement I'd love to read it.

I voted no ....... at least for *my* tank. I find it totally unneccessary and moreover it would defeat my "tea water" by helping to remove the very color I am seeking from my peat. My husband's tank has carbon in the filters only because they come in the cartridges....

I even cut open the filter cartridges and remove and save the carbon. I only use it after using meds to remove them. :D

Unless you are trying to remove meds after treatment, I personally feel it's a waste of money. The activated carbon becomes inactive after 7 days.

I have removed all the carbon filters in my tank and have replaced it with 2 good size sponges. The extra sponges come in handy when you are setting up new tanks.

I think it's a waste of money .... if what I read is right, carbon is pretty much saturated after a few days so why bother?

The only thing carbon is good for (apart from pulling out meds) is as a place for your bacteria to grow. Apparently, carbon has high surface area & is just as good as the fancy biomedias in cultivating the good bugs ... just a whole lot cheaper! <In that case, you never change the carbon so my answer is NO>

I just found a pretty good article on exactly what activate carbon does to water:
http://www.home-water-purifiers-and-filters.com/carbon-water-filter.php

Wouldn't it be a good idea to use it after water changes? I mean if it only works for a short time, I would think it would be a good idea to use it right after you do a water change to make sure that all the chlorine and other VOCs are removed from the water.

I was using an old canister filter to prep water in a holding tank. the can filter was going to provide circulation, and I figured, why not fill it with charcoal and make the holding tank water pristine. AC breaks the choramine bond, might take out some other unkown nasties, packed tight enough would also be a mechanical filter, Plus I had a large jug of AC laying around with nothing to do with it. Well, 4 weeks into the holding tank use the old canister filter died. Now months later, there is no difference since I quit using AC for the holding tank. I have never used it in the display tanks filters, and the water looks great.

I do use it regularly. (Guess I'm a minority) I have few problems in my tanks, hardly ever any algae, and my fish are almost always healthy. Coincidence? Don't know. But hey, if aint broke don't fix it :D
Heres an interesting article you guys might like to read:

ACTIVATED CARBON

Activated carbon is currently used in numerous applications ranging from the decolourisation of sugars and sweeteners, gold recovery, colour/odour correction in wines & fruit juices, to the treatment of drinking water. Even the ancient Egyptians knew of the beneficial properties that charred coal had in improving the quality of drinking water.

Activated Carbon is typically used in three different areas of aquaculture: 1) taking impurities out of water as it is brought into a facility; 2) removing halogens (any of the five elements fluorine, chlorine, bromine, iodine, and astatine that form part of group VII A of the periodic table and exist in the free state normally as diatomic molecules); and 3) removing color and metabolic by-products in re-circulating systems.

What is Activated Carbon?

Activated Carbon is a crude form of graphite and is commonly made from wood, coal, lignite and coconut shell. The imperfect structure of activated carbon, which is highly porous, is what differentiates it from graphite. These pours range in size from visible cracks and crevices to microscopic dimension. This structure gives the carbon its very large surface area, which allows the carbon to adsorb such a wide range of components. Activated carbon has the strongest physical adsorption forces or the highest volume of adsorbing porosity of any substance known to mankind (5 grams of activated carbon can have the surface area of a football field).

How is Activated Carbon Made?

A substance is first subjected to a heating process called carbonization. This forms a fixed carbon mass that is full of tiny pores. It is then activated by a second heat/steam treatment (200 -1600oC) while regulating oxygen level. This is what creates the huge internal pore network and imparts surface chemistries that give carbon its unique filtering characteristics. There are 3 main forms of activated carbon: 1) Granular – irregular shaped particles ranging in size from 0.2 to 5mm, 2) Powder – pulverized carbon, 3) extruded & cylindrical in shape.

How Activated Carbon Works

Activated carbon removes organic compounds from aquaria by adsorption and absorption principles. Both processes involve the transfer of the pollutant from the liquid phase (water) to the solid phase (carbon). Adsorption is the primary sorption mode used to remove pollutants. This attractive force forms a bond between the carbon and the adsorbate (pollutant) causing the adsorbate to adhere to the carbon. In addition, bacteria will colonize the outer surface of the activated carbon and consume some of the sorbed organics. The bacterial action also reactivated a small portion of the carbon and perhaps prevents desorption.

Absorption refers to the diffusion of a gas or compound into the porous network where a chemical reaction or physical entrapment takes place. Ozone for example is absorbed into activated carbon where it oxidizes a portion of the carbon’s surface. Ozone (O3) is reduced to oxygen (02) thus detoxified and made safe for the pond. Ozone does not accumulate or build-up in the carbon structure.

A third process called chemisorption forms an irreversible chemical bond between the carbon surface and the adsorbate. Pollutants are tightly bound to the sorbent.

All three sorption processes occur simultaneously in the pond. The sorption process takes place in three stages:

1) Organic laden water contacts the activated carbon particle.

2) The adsorbate diffuses into the porous network.

3) Sorption onto the carbon occurs.

These activities can be described as the activities observed in a parking lot. Vehicles (organics) are moving freely on the main highway (pond water). The vehicles enter the lot (pore) in search of a parking space (sorption site).

Benefits of Activated Carbon

Due to the sorption process that occur with activated carbon, it is very effective at removing toxins (insecticide and plant), some chlorine and chlorimines, and organics that may discolor your water. The overall result is an increase in water quality. The by-product of better water quality is healthier fish. The activated carbon should have a macroporous structure, Low Iodine number which is a measure of the microporosity (below 600) and a high molasses number which is a measure of macroporosity (above 400).
All carbon will release some phosphate. It is best that one looks for an activated carbon that has not been activated using phophoric acid. Phosphate levels released by Carbons that were activated by means other that using phosphoric acid are low and not harmful to the pond or its inhabitants.

Thanks for all the replies. I, myself, do use carbon. Not necessarily because I want to - I do know that it loses effectiveness rather quickly - but being in Nebraska where our water supply comes from underground aquifers I am concerned about the usual farming chemicals (pesticides, fertilizers) being present in the water. So I count on the carbon to reduce these chemicals, if present. I have not actually done the research to see if they are. :?

Back
Top Bottom