Carbon inserts vs. Activated carbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Speaking of chemicals. I Nvr use a dechlorinator. I just let water sit out. That should be fine rt?

It depends. If you water supplier/company injects regular chlorine, it will work fine.

If they use Chloramines, which many are using now days, then no. They are more stable and won't evaporate from just sitting open. You'll need to use a dechlorinator that says it can break down chloramines.

The trouble is, no easy way to know short of calling and asking and then you have to decide if you believe the person answering or not.

Seems safest to me just to treat and be sure.

OasisKeeper said:
It depends. If you water supplier/company injects regular chlorine, it will work fine.

If they use Chloramines, which many are using now days, then no. They are more stable and won't evaporate from just sitting open. You'll need to use a dechlorinator that says it can break down chloramines.

The trouble is, no easy way to know short of calling and asking and then you have to decide if you believe the person answering or not.

Seems safest to me just to treat and be sure.

Ya I need to consider this if I am goin to be taking carbon out of the filter mix. Guess I should just get the dechlor. It's cheap anyway.

joejeff said:
Ya I need to consider this if I am goin to be taking carbon out of the filter mix. Guess I should just get the dechlor. It's cheap anyway.

Yeah I definitely would recommend seachem Prime it's a great dechlorinator and you can get a pretty large bottle for around $15 it lasts forever! I use it with every pwc! :)

Tigroscr said:
Yeah I definitely would recommend seachem Prime it's a great dechlorinator and you can get a pretty large bottle for around $15 it lasts forever! I use it with every pwc! :)

You see anyreason the cheapo top fin stuff my lfs carries would he an issue?

joejeff said:
You see anyreason the cheapo top fin stuff my lfs carries would he an issue?

Idk I've never used it, I think Prime is the way to go IMHO, it's probably just a few $'s more, but well worth it!

Tigroscr said:
Idk I've never used it, I think Prime is the way to go IMHO, it's probably just a few $'s more, but well worth it!

Rt on. Will look for it.

Tigroscr said:

Rt on. Will look for it.

Back
Top Bottom