Carbon paricles in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patrickriley2010

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been rinsing this new filter pad for awhile now but pieces of carbon keep coming though it. My question is how bad is it if a few pieces get into the tank?

No more in your tank than in your filter, carbon is inert! It absorbs harmful chemicals, and eventually becomes saturated, but not toxic.

No more in your tank than in your filter, carbon is inert! It absorbs harmful chemicals, and eventually becomes saturated, but not toxic.

Okay I trust you lol they way you put it sounds much more scientific lol ! I just have to change my filter because my bio wheel keeps freezing up and that's not good!

Only 2 weeks old! This is what it looked like minus the junk when I bought it all torn up ! New one looks way better !

image-2620930203.jpg

image-4076005278.jpg

It looks like you might be over feeding.... How much and how often do you feed? How many fish in that aquarium? How large of tank? How many gal/ hr

It looks like you might be over feeding.... How much and how often do you feed? How many fish in that aquarium? How large of tank? How many gal/ hr

It's a penguin 150 bio wheel .

20 gallon tank.

3 long fin zebra danios
1 regular zebra danio
1 comet platty
1 ghost shrimp "formerly 2 one died last night"

Idk how much am I supposed to Feed ?

Most food says one flake/ granule/crisp per inch of fish 3 times per day.... I find this is way overkill, and results in very very dirty filters. I feed usually 1-2 times per day 2 flakes/crisps per fish.

Most food says one flake/ granule/crisp per inch of fish 3 times per day.... I find this is way overkill, and results in very very dirty filters. I feed usually 1-2 times per day 2 flakes/crisps per fish.

My flakes are all different sized though? And I usually squeze them between my fingers to break them up so the fish don't have to keep bitting and chasing lol

Also alot of carbon got in :(

Idk why this filter cartridge was so difficult

image-145214723.jpg

Plus I skimmed some off the top

I put the new one behind the old one so if there was bacteria on it it will transfer to the new one.

image-1998477003.jpg

Carbon Particles

I've been rinsing this new filter pad for awhile now but pieces of carbon keep coming though it. My question is how bad is it if a few pieces get into the tank?

Hello pat...

Those particles of chemical medium aren't toxic. You can remove them the next time you change out some of the tank water. Actually, you don't really need to use it. Large, frequent water changes will take the place of carbon medium.

B

Hello pat...

Those particles of chemical medium aren't toxic. You can remove them the next time you change out some of the tank water. Actually, you don't really need to use it. Large, frequent water changes will take the place of carbon medium.

B

It just comes in the filter so I don't really have a choice :/

With feeding don't feed more than they can eat within 2 min per day wether its all at once or four 30second feedings.

And with the carbon I have heard from different sources that once it is saturated it can leech what it has absorbed back into the tank. I still don't know the validity on that but I'm sure there's a scienttific study out there that will prove or disprove it I just havent found a TRUE scientific study on it.

Back
Top Bottom