Cardinal Tetra vs Neon Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cardinals vs Neons

• Neons

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Cardinals

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Fishguy1111

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, taking into consideratio price, availibility, schooling habits, hardiness, attractiveness, and anything else, which is better, Cardinals or Neons? Why?:thanks:

Cardinals are warmer water than Neons so that could make a difference in a decision for which to put in a tank. Personally I like the Neons coloration better. IMO opinion they have more blue (with obviously less red) and I just prefer that.
also they are usually cheaper, which is nice.

Cardinals I've read are more resistant to NTD. How widespread NTD is, is another question. I like a school of either and fairly hardy in a mature, cycled tank.

I have cardnals side by side with my neons, got 4 cards to add to the decimated school if neons, neons in my limited experience seem to be more prone/susceptible to random disease, than again it could all stem from breeding. Anyways, as far as coloration and behavior, cards have a full red under belly while neons have a more forward red, the actual "neon" lateral line is a much fuller blue in my neons, the cards still look great though, I'd say neons look a little cooler but I'll never get them again if cardnals are available..

Neons are on sale at Petco for a buck each. I just picked up 5.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd take cardinals every day of the week. Coloration is better, they get a tad bit bigger, and generally are hardier because they're not so widely overbred like neons. Their higher temperature preference also makes them ideal tankmates for many dwarf cichlids like rams too.

Cardinals, easy choice. Much hardier, less prone to random die off, and just look cooler IMO. In my tank cardinals have always been better looking than neons. They are completely colored red and blue while neons have an area of no color. If I had to choose, cardinals easily but it is about what you like. :)

Back
Top Bottom