Cardinal Tetras How Many?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChuckBay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

How many Cardinal tetras should i have in a 45 gallon tank with 4 corys a small plec and 6 small discus? Thanks!

Chuck

Cardinals

This depends on a few factors. How long has your tank been setup? Is it heavily planted? What type of filtration do you have? Try to remember the 1 inch of fish per gallon rule (which doesn't always apply, but is a good start). I have placed as many as 12 cardinals in a well established 3 gallon planted before. I would start out by adding 10 or so, then go from there. Hope this helps!

Thankyou,

My tank is 5 years old decently panted and very good filtration (2 units interior and exterior), what would you suggest?

P.S. whats the inch rule ? pls explain!

Ok 12 sounds too little for me.. i had advice from my local aquarist that you can never have too many... but i think ill stick to 20?? Will that be ok?

Inch rule

Well, the inch rule. Some aquarists suggest that you can add 1 inch of fish per gallon of water. Again, this depends on the surface area of your tank. Example. If your tank is tall without a lot of surface area to allow for gas exchange, this rule would not apply. Lets forget about the surface area for a second. Cardinals are about an inch long. If you want 20 of them, that would be 20 inches. Now since your tank is a 45, you still have 25 inches. Remember to measure your discus for length and height, because the are larger than the average fish. so if your discus are about 2 inches each, that would be 4 inches per discus. That would be 24. The cory cats are probably about an inch, so that would be 4 inches. Already you are over that rule. But if your filtration is good and you do water changes, I see no problem with it. Basically the inch rule is a good basis. You would be close, so I think you will be fine. Just remember that the discus will get bigger!!!Hope this helps!

45-20=25
25-24=1
1-4=-3
And how ever big your pleco is. You are close!

Back
Top Bottom