Cardinal tetras nipping betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, against my better judgement I tried out a group of cardinal tetras in with my betta in a heavily planted 10g and it's just not working out. I expected them to be fin nippers but at the insistence of a number of people that tetras won't nip if there are enough of them in the tank I gave it a try.

They decided to start picking on him and now his fins are shredded... again.

I have 6 of them in the tank with him and can't really think of anything to do to make them stop. Would you guys have any suggestions or is my only option going to be to return them?

I would return him or get a bigger tank

I have a betta in a 55 community with angel fish, all kinds of tetras, and even rosy barbs and no nipping, I'm suspecting your tank is too small for that

6 of them is a small group, actually. I've never kept tetras, but I hear that they aren't so nippy in MUCH larger groups, like at least a dozen or so, and I think that is way too many fish for your tank.

At a local fish shop the keeper has at least two dozen neon tetras and a black crowntail betta in one tank. The neons seem to avoid the betta, like there is an invisible bubble force field around him that they cannot penetrate.

It looks pretty much like this:

tetratetratetratetratetrate
tetratetra---tetratetratet
tetratet-------tetratetra
tetra---:fish1:---tetrate
tetrate--------tetratetr

That is odd I have never known mine to be the slightest bit nippy and I only have 5. Maybe it is the tank size. Mine are in a 37g.

Do you guys think harlequin rasboras would be a good replacement for them then?

I think 6 of any non-nano schooling fish in a 10g would probably be pushing it, but adding the betta makes another volatile situation.

If you can find ember tetras, they would be a better fit. You could easily keep 8 in there with the betta. They are more calm, generally, than cardinals and they stay quite a bit smaller. I would be shocked if a group of embers would nip fins.

Hrmm.. the ember tetras shouldn't be terribly difficult to get. Are there any killis that would work in there?

6 of them is a small group, actually. I've never kept tetras, but I hear that they aren't so nippy in MUCH larger groups, like at least a dozen or so, and I think that is way too many fish for your tank.

At a local fish shop the keeper has at least two dozen neon tetras and a black crowntail betta in one tank. The neons seem to avoid the betta, like there is an invisible bubble force field around him that they cannot penetrate.

It looks pretty much like this:

tetratet-------tetratetra
tetra---:fish1:---tetrate
tetrate--------tetratetr

Absolutely love your description btw :)

Careful- from the link above (emphasis mine):
Loaches
Similar to cories, loaches are bottom feeders and basically look like a bigger version of cories. Thus, a larger tank is necessary. In fact some loaches can get as big as 16" (clown loach). However, all types of loaches are peaceful. I recommend khuli loaches(4"), dwarf loaches(2.5"), hillsteam loaches(3"), and zebra loaches(4").

All loaches are not peaceful. Be sure to research any species you're interested in keeping.

Cichlids
Not only are cichlids highly aggresive, but they live best in water conditions that are opposite than those of a betta. They enjoy high pH and hard water while bettas enjoy soft water with low pH. Additionally, most cichlids get way too big for tanks under 10 gallons. Most cichlids need aquariums 20+ gallons and that's when they aren't fully grown.

All cichlids are not highly aggressive. They also do not all prefer high pH/hard water. Watch for gross oversimplifications while you're researching. ;)

Just so we are clear, I would not recommend keeping the vast majority of cichlids with a Betta. One might be able to get away with some of the more peaceful SA dwarfs in a 20 gallon or larger, but it would not be a combination I would personally stock.

They should be ok... but sometimes white clouds (Tanichthys albonubes) can be a little nippy. I'm not sure I would try this combination in a 10 gallon. I would, however, try the sparkle eye white cloud (Tanichthys micagemmae). They stay smaller than the regular white clouds, and tend to be much more timid.

IME, white clouds liked a cooler temperature than what betta prefer, ie, high 60s-low 70s compared to upper 70s to low 80s.

White clouds breed like nuts too. You start with five then you come back a month later and you've got 30.

It seems that my tetras got bored of harassing my betta and I haven't seen them nip him in quite a long time now. Plus his tail isn't getting any worse! :)

Back
Top Bottom