Cardinal Tetras - NTD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bstnrdsx

Aquarium Advice Regular
Do Cardinal Tetras get the same disease that affects Neon Tetras? They seem so simliar as a fish an uneducated guess might be yes. Also, most reports of Neons I get is that the owner usually loses at least half the stock. Are Cardinals any more hardy than the Neons, or just about the same? Thanks!

I got my cardinal tetras from SM and HN1, lost one in transit thanks to Texas summer, but the others have been plugging along just fine!
Not surer about NTD honestly. Haven't heard anything about them being susceptible to it.

From a quick google search NTD can affect more than just neon tetras, so it's possible that cardinals could gt it. I personally think a lot of neon tetra deaths attributed to NTD are the result of poor acclimation or weak stock. Both are delicate fish to acclimate, but once established, quite hardy. If you see symptoms of NTD then it's a different matter, but just "losses" could be many things.

--Adeeb

It does seem Rhett most species of tetra are hardy once IN a tank, but poor acclimation, uncycled tanks, and lack of necessary upkeep are the main factors of their demise IME

The disease is carried in the neons but when the neon dies the disease goes into the water and can infect the other fish but most fish can with stand the disease and it eventually dies off...neons for some reason cant fight the disease off which is why it affects them more

It's simply because it's most diagnosed in neons. If you happen to get an infected fish, it will release cysts into the water column which will spread to other fish. I don't think it's a big enough deal to not buy neons. Just QT them to make sure they aren't infect or get them from a reputable breeder. They won't magically get it later on if they didn't come with it.

--Adeeb

I don't think it's a big enough deal to not buy neons.

Thanks for the advice so far. I am settled on Cardinals, I just wanted to know if I should be on the lookout for Pleistophora symptoms in them since to me the two species are so close in looks to one another. Whether or not they are geneology-wise is research for a different day.

Never dealt with NTD, but i found that the fresh caught Cards I got died easily, whereas the farm raised are doing great. Apparently, fresh caught don't acclimate to aquariums well from what I've found in my research.

Mr. Limpet said:
Never dealt with NTD, but i found that the fresh caught Cards I got died easily, whereas the farm raised are doing great. Apparently, fresh caught don't acclimate to aquariums well from what I've found in my research.

Sad that most at chain stores, and even my LFS are wild caught....
Seems pretty common from what I understand to have them wild caught, since they seem to not be so willing to breed in captivity.

Sad that most at chain stores, and even my LFS are wild caught....
Urea pretty ore vela t from what I understand to have them wild caught, since they seem to not be so willing to breed in captivity.

I had to travel past 5 LFS, 45 miles away to get my farm raised Cards. But this place also QT new fish for 10 days and keeps GSP in brackish water. Needless to say, they get a lot of sales from me. Petco, et al gets my equipment sales and that's limited at best.

I ask glad you understood that last sentence, because I don't remember what I was trying to type. iPhone is not the best place to type here, clearly!

Yeah wild caught cardinals are hard to acclimate. First time I got 6 and all died overnight. It was probably a bad stock too. I took my time with acclimation the next time I tried and my new ones have been going strong for 6+ months now. It might be hit and miss with wild caught though.

--Adeeb

The sad thing is that from reputable sources, captive bred neons and cardinals are not at all difficult to find for the LFSs. The cardinals I sent HalfMoonB are captive bred, and I would never even consider getting wild neon or cardinal stock in here because IME they just don't do well overall, and they are a nightmare to ship.

severum mama said:
The sad thing is that from reputable sources, captive bred neons and cardinals are not at all difficult to find for the LFSs. The cardinals I sent HalfMoonB are captive bred, and I would never even consider getting wild neon or cardinal stock in here because IME they just don't do well overall, and they are a nightmare to ship.

+1! your stock is amazing! Love watching those little guys!
And you can count on taking on most of my money on fishes from here on out!
Now if only you and HN1 did discus.... ;) ;). Nudge nudge

Now only if you had captive-bred Cardinals still....;);) nudge nudge

Cardinals may be able to get it, but they seem to be less likely to suffer from it than neon tetras are. Any fish will suffer from poor acclimatization though. Wild caught have the hardest time. Captive bred are usually much healthier overall.

Back
Top Bottom