Carnivore catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pleco951

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ive got a picus catfish and some websites says that they will possibly eat the smaller fish like neons, however the petshops have said they dont.
I woke up this morning to find one less neon, now ive searched the tank, and there is no sign of him.
Is it quite possible that the catfish has eaten it??

I suppose its possible but I bet the neon was sick. Normally a healthy fish would be able to avoid getting caught.

More possible to be caught at night when they are less active, couple that with the fact that alot of catfish are nocturnal feeders.

A couple of weeks ago I had this same problem. Before I got rid of my pictus catfish he decided to make a snack of 5 of my 6 neon tetras...pet store said I would be fine but every night was a massacre in my tank. It started the same way it did with you...went to bed one night with a happy tank, woke up the next morning with 2 neons M.I.A...and then night after night they kept disappearing until I removed the offender from the tank

If it fits in the mouth, it goes in the mouth (sometimes even if it doesn't).

The pet shop lied.

It isn't just possible, it is likely your pictus ate him.

Back
Top Bottom