Carnivore staple diets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tyrel

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ive finally got my new fish! :D After weeks of stress and disease ridden cycle, Ive gotten my four inch senegal bichir! Ive gotten him a sinking compelete pellet food to start out with, but i have to break the pellets very small. I know about varied diets and all that jazz, But are these pellets a sufficent staple?

Im pretty sure the pellets will work, but the african butterfly I plan to buy in the future has me stumped. The food I'm thinking of for the butterfly are floating Cichlid sticks. Im wondering if that would be a good staple for him. Waddya think?

Bloodworms, brine shrimp and tubifex worms are great "meaty" treats for your fish. You can also add flakes and cichlid crumbles (these float slowly to the bottom).

I already have some frozen bloodworms to supplement their diet, but their kinda messy, so it will only be an occasional treat. I just put in a clay pot drainage tray as a food dish for bottom feeders. How clever of me! :roll:

African Butterflyfish also enjoy Plankton or grasshoppers. They will sometimes nibble at flake food also.

Feeding
Live foods : guppies , rosey red minnows, ghost shrimp, earthworms
frozen: bloodworms, mysis shrimp,brine shrimp , krill, squid and frozen silversides
some will take pellets, lean meaty foods such as beefheart are good too
but you need to balance their diet for nutrition so vary the diet, not just one
thing.How much to feed them ? Feed them until their belly bows slightly.
and skipping a meal will not hurt them once they are
past 7-8 inches remember in the wild food is not
always available.A nice round bichir is a happy bichir

Back
Top Bottom