Cascade 300 enough filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That sounds like a good plan on the filter. :D If your driftwood doesn't sink you may want to consider drilling into it and attaching a piece of slate. Some pieces just don't sink. Alot of the hobs that I have seen are two pieces. But there are the exceptions (like the Penguin brand). I've never had one leak. But it is something that you should watch for. As long as it is put together properly, you shouldn't have to worry about having a river in your house. :D

I can't wait to see pics once you have it up and going. Sounds like a great tank.

If for some reason the motor unit fell off (very-very-very unlikely) it would break the sypon on the intake tube (air would get in) and you would lose maybe 8 ounces of water from your tank, not exactly a catastropy in my mind..

I wasn't worried about it falling off...I was worried about a slow leak developing if the o-ring became brittle that I wouldn't notice right away. I realize the chances of this happenning are pretty small but I was just sitting there, staring at the filter on the back of the tank thinking about it. I mean, when I set up the Magnum, I saw what a pain it could be to get the o-ring sealed properly (use the silicon sparingly? That means use the whole tube, right? :lol: ).

If I was on the bottom floor of my own house with tile...I wouldn't care as much. But I'm in a 3rd floor apartment with carpeting, so I decided better to be safe than sorry.

I would worry more about the main gasket for magnum (ive had 3 rot out on me) and I have never had a HOB motor housing leak(all HOB's Ive had are seperate units other then the old penguins and they had the same seal inside the hosing were they were unaccessible without popping off some plastic parts). I really dont like the magnum its just not up to date with the competiors (it is a very old design that needs updated bad)
well you have it now.. if its up and running and you like it.. keep it..

For the price I paid for it, I'll give it a try for a while. If I find myself not liking it, I'll upgrade it and you can waggle your finger and say "I told you so." :lol:

Yeah, I can see where the gasket would fail easily...took me coating it with silicon to get it setup last nigt, but if that's all it takes, no biggie to me. And you're right, the chance of that particular seal failing really probably isn't worth worrying about...but this lets me sleep better at night! ;)

Back
Top Bottom