Catastrophe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 15 gal tank containing several electric yellow and several Aulonocara lwanda fry suffered a complete tank tragedy. Somehow the heater went haywire today while I was at work and the temp in the tank is 103 F!!! Unfortunately all the fry are lost. Never had a heater malfunction before. Not fun, I feel terrible for all those fry. Poor guys.

wow sorry to hear that, I never have to use my heater, its not even plugged up, never has been, my tank stays at a steady 74 degrees

Wow 103?

Was the heater to big for the gallons of water?

Is there a way to determine a heater size to cover malfunction or would that cause a heater to have to work to hard to keep a steady temp.

I only use a heater in 1 tank, all my other tanks sit between 76 and 78, the one with the heater sits at 80 though I could probably turn it off and be safe.

Thanks guys, appreciate it. It was a 50watt store brand much like this brand. I think that there may have been a possibility water from the tank that is over top of it, (it is on a 2 tier metal stand), got onto the dial. Courtesy of my lovely cats. They occasionally like to try and "fish" for the fish. I had the plastic dial cover off. Either that or they bumped the heater and moved the dial. The heater seems to be working fine, so I am suspecting the cats for either scenario. Either way the heater is not being used while fish are in there again. I have another heater that I already exchanged it for. Doing some fish moving after a 90% pwc to keep the tank cycled until I decide what to do with it.

sorry to hear that :(

i once had a heater just like that, it developed a crack in the glass, got full of water and gave me a hell of a shock!

Back
Top Bottom