Catching Cories and Cats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
I will be starting to move my fish to their new tank, when I get to the bottom, I have three Cories and one Spotted Raphael cat fish. They all have spiny appendages. So previously I have caught them with a cup, with a baggie, and my friend swooped one up in a net so fast it never had time to get caught! lol

Now I use a fine tightly woven fabric net but I am nervous about catching them.

In my noobie days ruined two nets and disturbed one of my Cories a great deal and had to cut the net and let him swim around with a little bit on his barbel for a couple days before it fell off :oops:

He is still alive and a big boy now! So's the other one that got stuck. :hide:

So does anyone have a preferred manner of capturing them? I have lots of rocks and planted plants and a few fake plants, and 2 bubblers so it is much more crowded in the bottom of the tank than ever before.

unless you grab them,you should be fine. unless they're really brave

I wrote a long detailed response and it got eaten :(

I use clear cups
I use a fish trap (clear soda bottle cut in half, invert top into bottom, cut top as needed to make large enough opening, bait with yummy food)
I use Metal Mesh Scoops rigid ones that they use for reptile sand....very useful for Pictus and other cats, but it will rust if not dried properly.

Careful with bare hands like you said. The venom won't kill you, but it can hurt and if you are sensitive you may have a reaction. Here's some interesting reading

Thank you Tina, this is a great idea, sorry your post was eaten - I hate when that happens!!!

I am already having trouble with some skiddish fish so I can only imagine when I get to the bottom ones. And they are dangerously pointy and skiddish.:(

Autumnsky said:
Thank you Tina, this is a great idea, sorry your post was eaten - I hate when that happens!!!

I am already having trouble with some skiddish fish so I can only imagine when I get to the bottom ones. And they are dangerously pointy and skiddish.:(

Don't stress too much. I've worked at LFSs and Petsmart in the past. Years of catching Cories and never been stung ( finned ? LOL ). I'm just aware and always try to have a soft touch anyway.

This is my first time having habrosus and now I'll have a bit more respect as I didn't think of them as esp. Ouchy.

Back
Top Bottom