Catching fish from rivers and streams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ilminded

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone caught wild fish from local streams and rivers and kept them in tanks successfully? I might want to try this but want input from those who have.

I caught some mosquitofish while i was fish and put them in my quaritine tank and i have breed them once and the babies are about a mo th and a half old and there big.

Mostly mosquito fish I catch in river stream and I feed them to my Oscar. No good small fish in the wild here

Ive also caught mosquito fish. Ive also caught black line minnows, don't know the real name, and small sunfish and kept them successfully.

Can you take a picture of the sunfish? There's bluegill here but not interested in them

i had caught bass, pickerals, and sunfish/bluegills and successfully got them to eat the dry foods like flakes and granules in less then a week.

While I haven't actually caught the fish myself, our selection here in Colorado is rather boring, I have had native species from Florida shipped here and have found them to be rather easy to care for. I culture my own live foods and also use frozen for feeding.

Minnow traps work well, and will catch baby bluegills and bass.

At least I have in our pond.

I just use a big fish net and catch them by the shore. I always caught a frog with a rod and a turtle.

What fish in Ohio would be good to try an what do they look like

Perhaps shiners and minnows, as well as hornyhead chubs (which are a minnow).

Bluegill or sunfish if you have a large tank. They can be incredibly aggressive though, and will likely eat/attack anything their size or smaller.

American Eel would be pretty badass :)
American_eel.jpg

Back
Top Bottom