catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jester

Aquarium Advice Freak
we caught a small catfish in wisconsin at our cottage my sister put it in here tank and 2 fish have been killed one had its eyes ripped out and the other some fins she has some old fish in there and the cat i think thats it i am a salt guy the cat is about 1and a half inches is it him?

If you get a pic, you can post it at www.planetcatfish.com for proper ID. I would assume it is either a channel cat or a bullhead. I think channel cats are known to be more agressive, not really sure though. Mine, 10" or so, have always left my comets alone, and even most of the rosies I got as feeders. I now have monster 3" rosies.

There are a TON of diff catfish species jester; without a pic or description its hard to determine what type it is.

Its also possible the catfish has nothing to do with the prob. Illness can also cause similar symptoms (finrot, popeye, death). Its possible, since its a wild caught fish (and I'm guessing it wasn't QT) that it brought something along with it. I especially suspect disease as theres no mention of seeing the cat being aggressive. Also, any idea what her water parameters are? That might be a clue as well (high nitrogenous waste - high levels of stress - depressed immune system).

It is never a good idea to catch wild fish without knowledge of what you are catching. Plus you should make sure it is even legal to do so. Many places make it illegal to catch wild animals and keep them as pets.

Pure guesses here. It's a Madtom species, they are very small lake/stream catfish. Yes, it's him causing the trouble. Please put him back where he came from if at all possible.

the cat was not caught in the lake it was in our bait bucket we got from the bait store out there i will try to get a pic it is all black if that helps my leg is broke so i will see if my sister can work the camera and get a pic of it thanks

Most catfish you will find in North America are going to be a bad idea in an aquarium, as basically they will eat anything that will fit in their mouths. This is a generalization, of course, but chances are it is the source of the difficulty, and I would definitely advise against keeping it in a home aquarium, unless it is an extremely large system. Like has been posted, it is quite likely a carrier of parasites and infection, so other problems may rear their ugly head even after the catfish is removed.

Plus, if it's a Cat from Wisconsin, it might need a water chiller. Water up there is natually a lot colder. I stop by a brook trout rehabilitation center near NYC every week or so, and they have to chill every one of their tanks. It's not cheap--the chillers rarely sell for under $200.

JustDIY might object... you can do it yourself, but it's a lot less precise.

the cat was not caught in the lake it was in our bait bucket

Ok, almost definitely a Madtom species. They frequantly show up in bait buckets, they hang out with shiners and other minnows in lakes or streams, where the bait collectors catch them. There are lot of diff. madtoms, but most only grow to 3-6 inches. Still act like a big catfish, will eat anything that they can even halfway fit in the mouth. considering all the trouble, put him back in some lake.

Back
Top Bottom