Catfish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FishFanatic88 said:
by small i meant small for loaches. lol they get about 4-5 inches. just thought i should clarify.

Can I have loaches with discus?! I heard they move too fast and will freak the discus out

I know this is kinda old, but I wanna put my two cents in :)

I own a Rainbow Shark (catfish) and a Pictus Catfish. They do bump heads every now and then, but they do not nip each other. They are both territorial fish and only really get upset when the other catfish is in it's domain. I was told to get one rainbow when I bought him. I was told to only get one pictus when I bought him.

The reason is, in the wild, they can just swim off and away from it's foe. If it's trapped in a small area, it will essentially be chased to death. Now I know that life is different, a lot of people have troubles with fin nipping with some fish; and then the next person might not ever have a problem with the same type of fish.

I just bought a Silvertip Shark (catfish) from PetSmart yesterday. He's very small right now, and lightning fast. So I think if he starts getting picked on, he can easily escape to a safe place.

The issue at hand with this particular thread was discus, which are easily startled and stressing a $50+ fish to death is not a fun thing to have to deal with lol

As for you're newest cat fish, that silvertip is NOT a freshwater species...they are brackish to full marine and also grow several feet! I would recommend returning it ;)

I'm not a discus owner, they are cool though :)

Yeah, the guy @ petsmart told me that they are brackish but can live in fresh water. They get 14" on average, which is rather big :) However, he said a 55gal should be perfectly fine for him. If he get's to the point of being a very large fish and needs more room. Then a 125gal sounds like a good upgrade to go to! Not only for him, but for the family of my fishies.

ok random catfish question... i love catfish and think they're awesome but i've seen the eclipse(actually own one) and the African Feather Fin(looks pretty awesome as well, but are these two cats compatible?

Back
Top Bottom