Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrYams

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have set up a 55gal tank that is currently empty and would love a baby Redtailed catfish. Unfortunately I can't afford a 1,000 gal tank so my question is...are there any smaller cats (4"-8") that resemble the body type of the Redtail? I don't really care for the skinny sleek cats. More of a short wide bruiser type than a minnow with whiskers lol. Thanks in advance for any help.

Wow! The Jaguar Cat looks perfect, thanks. I've also had my eye on the Stripped Raphael Cat. Any others that may fit the bill? (I like options)

The Madtom is another great suggestion and may be my favorite so far. The one I saw on YouTube looked a little more "rugged" than the other cats I've seen and I like that a lot. There does seem to be a bunch of different types Madtoms that I'll look at when I'm not at work. Thanks again and keep'em coming!

MrYams said:
Wow! The Jaguar Cat looks perfect, thanks. I've also had my eye on the Stripped Raphael Cat. Any others that may fit the bill? (I like options)

You should know that jaguar catfish are very aggressive. i had one in my 75 Gallon oscar tank for about a week before it realized it could kill a nine inch oscar! Make sure you research anything you put in your tank!

Good advice, thanks. Any opinions on Zamora Cats?

Corey Cats are fun, not sure if they are too small for your liking but you can get more of them

MrYams said:
Good advice, thanks. Any opinions on Zamora Cats?

They are a neat looking fish. From what i understand, they reach a max of 5 inches and should be kept with a minimum of three in a group. you also must have plenty of drift wood, rocks, flower pots etc... for them to hide in. they are also carnivores that should be fed in the early morning and/or after lights are turned off.

I personally love the synodotis catfish (synodontis eupterus specifically). They dont have that brute look necessarily but trust me they can be territorial and aggressive little buggers. Also very beautiful cats but i like them for their edge.

I'm always here to suggest a four-line pictus cat!
I had a 12" one in my 55 gallon. He's about eight years old now. :> He lives outside in the pond with two Asian sun cats now.

Back
Top Bottom