Catfish From Way Back When

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry Little

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello. I'm trying to remember a catfish species I used to see from when I was a teenager back in the late 1960s through mid 1970s. It was well armored (not any sort of plecostomus), uniformly thick bodied, uniformly dark colored, with barbels similar to Cories. If I remember correctly, they were 3" - 4". I can't remember what their tail shape was.

Does this ring a bell for anyone. I don't remember seeing them in years and years, but I'd love to know what species they are.

Thank you.

Hello. I'm trying to remember a catfish species I used to see from when I was a teenager back in the late 1960s through mid 1970s. It was well armored (not any sort of plecostomus), uniformly thick bodied, uniformly dark colored, with barbels similar to Cories. If I remember correctly, they were 3" - 4". I can't remember what their tail shape was.

Does this ring a bell for anyone. I don't remember seeing them in years and years, but I'd love to know what species they are.

Thank you.

There are just way too many possibilities that come to my mind :blink:. I suggest you look through Planet Catfish https://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/ and let us know what you find.

Happy hunting. (y)

Hi, Andy Sager --

I think I've narrowed it down to one of the smaller species in the family Doradidae. The genus might be Trachydoras or Rhinodoras. I distinctly remember it having the "spines" along the sides. If memory serves, it was a mottled dark grey (almost black) and lighter grey in color.

Was it one of the raphael cats?
This one comes to mind : Spotted Raphael Catfish (Agamyxis pectinifrons) ( but there was another one I remember that was more marbled but I can't remember the name or find a pic of it. :^s )

Or maybe it was this one Amblydoras nauticus (Marbeld talking catfish) ?

Back
Top Bottom