Catfish recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trabba

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon community, currently has 7 serpae tetra, 3 swords, 4 platys, and an angel.

I am looking for good catfish ideas. I had cory's in there but I don't have any luck with them, never seem to do well in my tanks. What other types of catfish can I look into for a 55 gallon?

I know what you mean. I have so many problems with my angels and betta (not in same tank) eating their food.

I'd go with an albino or bristlenose pleco. They have a great personality and appetite and mine always went straight for the food.

tarpon said:
I know what you mean. I have so many problems with my angels and betta (not in same tank) eating their food.

I'd go with an albino or bristlenose pleco. They have a great personality and appetite and mine always went straight for the food.

...I also like khuli loaches too. They'll be more active in a bigger group,otherwise they'll probably be hiding.
They are very good at hiding and can fit into anywhere.

There's porthole catfish, they get 4" each.
p-39935-catfish.jpg

Then, there's dwarf bumblebee catfish, they get 4" each.
microglanis%20poecilidus_PAG.jpg

Aand, the honeycomb catfish, I learned about them recently. 3"
honeycomb_catfish_110130a3_w0640.jpg

All of these little guys look super attractive to me, my favourite is the dwarf bumblebee. Finding them is probably a little hard, but I think it's worth it.

If you have problems with the other fish eating the catfish's food, try saving their food for when the lights go off. Catfish are nocturnal anyways and it helps keep the other fish from seeing the food. Downfall to it is that you can't really tell if the cats are getting to it still. I love kuhli loaches. You won't see much of them though, mine hide all day long.

Also, most catfish will scavenge for food. I overfeed knowing that my catfish will pick the food out of the gravel before an hour or so has passed, so they get it.

Predfan27 said:
If you have problems with the other fish eating the catfish's food, try saving their food for when the lights go off. Catfish are nocturnal anyways and it helps keep the other fish from seeing the food. Downfall to it is that you can't really tell if the cats are getting to it still. I love kuhli loaches. You won't see much of them though, mine hide all day long.

Mine still eat it when the lights are off: ( I'll wake up and their bellys will be huge.
My betta will even go under my dw and dense plants

Awesome...thanks for the rec's...I will see what kind of stock the LFS has.

I like the kuhli loaches but my wife will not allow any fish that remotely resemble anything snake-like.

I have had luck with the bumblebee's before but that was the only time I have ever seen them around here. I will look into the others.

I know cory's are schoolers...are the other types of catfish listed here schoolers as well?

Trabba said:
Awesome...thanks for the rec's...I will see what kind of stock the LFS has.

I like the kuhli loaches but my wife will not allow any fish that remotely resemble anything snake-like.

I have had luck with the bumblebee's before but that was the only time I have ever seen them around here. I will look into the others.

I know cory's are schoolers...are the other types of catfish listed here schoolers as well?

A lot of catfish school when young, but the ones I recommended should be fine if you want only two or something.

Back
Top Bottom