Cause for Concern, or Normal ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grant R

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've noticed recently that the inside of my glass is starting to obtain a lot of small, but thin browny / yellow patches on it. On rubbing them, they come away easily enough, but my artificial plants and even some of the gravel is turning the same colour.

Is it heat from the light giving off that burning effect ?
Or something different .....

I'm hoping its all normal. :?

Grant, its most likely just brown diatom algae. just wipe it off when it gets annoying. Sometimes it goes away after a month or so, sometimes it stays. If it goes, you'll most likely get some green algae instead. You have to wash off the decorations from time to time as it keeps coming back. In my experience it's just part of regular maintenance.

Thanks, as I say, it effects all of the artificial plants too, but I have a feeling that may be from the lighting source, hence it won't go away. The rest ( where it's possible ) , I'll just wipe clean.

Hi Grant R,

How many hours per day are your lights on?
If it is 12 or more, then I would suggest reducing it to about 10 hrs/day.

Does your tank get any direct sunlight?
That may also be the source of your problem.

Just a thought.

If the algae is really bad, turn the lights off and leave them off for a couple of days, and if you have algae eaters and they eat this algae, let them tear it down :?:

Hiya TargaBoy ,

Currently, the lights are on for about 12 hrs a day, yes. I will reduce this to ten and take you're advice.
I will have to look into this whole ' Algae eater & snails ' thing, especially with my 45gallon on its way soon.

Snails are not a necessaity as some find snails a pest. You would need to research snails extreme;y well especially since you want to grow plants. There are some snail that do not eat plants and some that do, mine make a fair go of it.

Grant~
Don't know how reliable this is, but a pet store worker whom I asked about snails said that mostly they are messier than they are of any real help with cleaning. The plecostemus or catfish, etc are the best thing in freshwater. The chinese algae eaters I hear are better. I don't have a pleco in my 10 and it sparkles. If you have a good filter and do weekly 25% water changes, the tank shouldn't go through too much algae.

Back
Top Bottom