Cave Embracing Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DArnheim

Aquarium Advice Newbie
A long introduction, you can skip to the ************ to see my actual question:

Hi, what I'm wondering about is if there is smaller schooling fish that would embrace caver decorations. I've got a fairly large tank with lots of swimming areas and currently only two small schools of neons and harlequin rasboras. It's well planted and the rasboras and neons love to swim around the decorations and between the plants, but none of them go into any of the dark areas.

What I mean by this is that I have one "half log" thats like a tunnel and one sitting log stump with 6 circular entrances, but none of my fish will go into it. Well, I have a cory cat who goes everywhere, but the schooling fish never do. I've seen a pair of neons who sorta tease going into the decorations, one will swim in slightly the other will kinda follow but when the second reaches the first they will both swim out. The only time I've seen any neon in a decoration was when I first put them into the tank, and one neon refused to come out from the log tunnel for the first 5 hours or so.

When I cycled the tank with some comet goldfish, they loved to go into the decorations, one morning I woke up and found all of them huddled in the stump and when feeding time came they all raced out of different openings, a very beautiful sight.

Are there any smaller fish that are fans of shaded decorations besides corys or other catfish? I see that both the pygmy rasbora and the black neon tetras appreciate shade.. would either of these make for a better tank mate for harlequins/neons but be a fan of the decorations?

Do excuse me if this is a stupid sounding question! And thanks in advance!

Plecos don't all stay small but are big fans of "caves" - You might have a hard time finding the pleco anywhere else.

Try some african cichlids. They LOVE caves. *Just kidding. They will love your neons too. How about some smaller cichlids like rams? I know they can go with neons. Not sure if they will hang out alot in caves.

Kuhlii loaches would probably love that log tunnel. I think frog girl even drilled driftwood for them, they like long caves so much. They hang out in groups as well.

More lighting may encourage your fish to use dark hiding spaces, but you'll of course need to balance your plant needs while fighting algae.

Back
Top Bottom