cave formation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justrelax

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i'm working on some slate cave formations for a 30 gal. they will be for gbr's and apisto's. question:
when setting up the caves how big should the opening be? each cave is about (from inside wall to inside wall) 6" wide, 5" deep and 4" tall. right now i have the entire front open so i can see all the way into them. is this ok, or should i "close up" the front entry so it's more private?

Nice idea but the first thing that came to my mind was the plecos. Although you intend it for the apistos (yeah, rams are apistos...more on that later), the plecos will move in and make them their home(s).

What you could do is similar to what I did in my tank...leave the back open. The plecos will "visit", but probably not take it over. The cave occassionally is visited by my 9" Sailfin Pleco, but he doesn't stay too long.

i actually thought of competition and what that would effect. this is my solution (hopefully). on top of each 6x5x4 cave is a second, smaller cave! i'll be stocking one albino bn, and i'm hoping that with two extra (and unoccupied) caves there will be plenty of room for everyone.

The more caves, the better. BN's are pretty adventurous unless you have a pair that are ready to mate then all bets off. :)

I love the idea, go for it and post some pics when done.

Back
Top Bottom