cave ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knereim

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 65g its 4 ft long I wanted to put a cave type spot in it I heard pvc works good but how can I cover it so it doesn't look out of place

You could make caves out of some slate pieces and silicon. Could also check out something called "cichlid stones".
PVC looks unnatural but you could paint it, coat it with silicon and roll it in gravel and then attach some plants to it to make it look better.

I have some pvc tunnels. I just sink em into the sand abit then brake up there shape by teaning other things like flat stones up against it plus that jst males more caves

How about the big terra cotta flower pots?
That brings back memories...I remember when I was little and my parents had a 10 gallon tank with some tetras. They put in a terra cotta flower pot and I thought they were SO ugly sitting in an aquarium. So I took some of the plastic plants and some gravel and cleverly disguised it as a hill in the tank:angel:. only problem was, the gravel wouldn't stay put so I kept piling it on until I had a mound going up to the top of the tank, which made it even more of an eyesore:ermm:...haha but being serious the terra cotta flower pots are an excellent choice! If you want to disguise them the RIGHT way, just face the opening to a side of the tank that isn't often viewed (say you had a rectangular tank against a wall, the opening would face the wall), and cover it with a LITTLE bit of gravel, then put a plant on top :)
I never used a terra cotta pot in a tank other than in my childhood, so I dont want this to be like a blind leading a blind, but that's how I would do it if I was in your position...but you would probably want to clear it with one of the more experienced people on here first...hope I could help! ;)

Moss and Anubias would attach nicely to a terra cotta pot. Would be like a Chia Cave.

I use coconut shell halves.

Costco sells this desert which is sorbet inside of fruit "containers". They use lemon peel halves, coconut shell halves etc to serve the sorbet in. It is really nice because these coco shells are already symmetrically halved and scraped of the coco hairy-husk. I just save the coco halves and boil them, and you instantly have a small cave to put into your aquarium.

Sadly, this is only good for smaller fish. I have a betta and kuhli loaches who love these coco caves. PVC and terra cotta pots will be good for larger fish.

I made a cave using a green wick hydroponic pot and covered it with moss, using small pieces of thin green wire to hold the moss in place. I also did the same to the inside of the pot.
It looks pretty cool and fits in with the natural them of the tank as all you can see is moss.

Back
Top Bottom