Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-25-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cedar driftwood bad??

Hey there! I have a question about a driftwood piece I got. I just found out it is Cedar. I've been soaking it and as I was scrubbing it with a wire brush I noticed the smell of cedar. Then I cut it the way I wanted it and it is indeed cedar. Can I place cedar into my tank?

Old 04-25-2009, 04:57 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to MichaelsLilGray Send a message via Yahoo to MichaelsLilGray
i would have to say no... ceder is a aromatic wood.. and im not sure the tannins from something such as that would be to good for a tank =/

Old 04-25-2009, 10:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I wouldn't put it in. I have small rodents too, and cedar is bad for them. Cedar is also used to repel moths.
Animals don't seem to like cedar too much.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:49 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

If you can smell it, it is not safe to use. Some people said that well aged cedar (that with all sap & aromatic oils leeched out) is tank safe. That means you need to weather the wood for years. At any rate, if you smell cedar, it is not aged enough. <And personally, I wouldn't chance it, smell or no smell!>
Old 04-26-2009, 02:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not a freshwater guy, but I do know that cedar is used for roofs and such because of the natural oils and chemicals in the wood that repel most things that want to damage it. And a cedar roof can last 15 years and still retain those repellents. I wouldn't want that in my tank.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:31 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to MichaelsLilGray Send a message via Yahoo to MichaelsLilGray
best place to put that thing is next to your bed or in a drawer... if you like the smell of ceder that is =D

Tags
drift, driftwood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com