Cedar driftwood bad??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yellow Eye Tang

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey there! I have a question about a driftwood piece I got. I just found out it is Cedar. I've been soaking it and as I was scrubbing it with a wire brush I noticed the smell of cedar. Then I cut it the way I wanted it and it is indeed cedar. Can I place cedar into my tank?

i would have to say no... ceder is a aromatic wood.. and im not sure the tannins from something such as that would be to good for a tank =/

I wouldn't put it in. I have small rodents too, and cedar is bad for them. Cedar is also used to repel moths.
Animals don't seem to like cedar too much.

If you can smell it, it is not safe to use. Some people said that well aged cedar (that with all sap & aromatic oils leeched out) is tank safe. That means you need to weather the wood for years. At any rate, if you smell cedar, it is not aged enough. <And personally, I wouldn't chance it, smell or no smell!>

I'm not a freshwater guy, but I do know that cedar is used for roofs and such because of the natural oils and chemicals in the wood that repel most things that want to damage it. And a cedar roof can last 15 years and still retain those repellents. I wouldn't want that in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom