Celestial Pearl Danio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sanfranman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I came across this fish while researching online for different community fish I could add to my 55G community. This fish is awesome looking. I am down to 3 Longfin Leopards and are hoping a couple of these will school with them. Who has any? What do ya think about them?

Last edited by a moderator:
The CPD's won't school with the other danios. They are a tiny and shy fish in comparison.

They do their best in a nano tank. They would hide or get lost in your average community tank.

Now that everyone has rained on your parade...it is true that CPDs are tiny and skittish. Everyone recommends them for nano tanks due to their size. If you like them, I say go for it. I had two in a 6 gallon and all they did was squabble until one of them died. I wonder how many it would take to get them to interact like other sized fish. Get a lot of them and see how they do. Unfortunately, these fish are still a bit rare in the hobby and pricey in our area.

Sanfranman said:
I came across this fish while researching online for different community fish I could add to my 55G community. This fish is awesome looking. I am down to 3 Longfin Leopards and are hoping a couple of these will school with them. Who has any? What do ya think about them?

Unlike the others here, I have had a different experience. I have 10 of them in my 10g. They are very active and do not hide. They have 3 Hi-Spot Rasboras in there with them.

I think that they will be more active with other fish in there. CPDs aren't really a schooling fish to begin with so I don't foresee them schooling with the other Danios.

I do agree with keeping them in a smaller tank, solely because their intricate beauty will really be lost.

I like the fish. I don;t have any but was one of my choices for a school of smaller fish.

I have 8 of them in my 50g community tank and they do fine. Mine aren't shy at all and I make sure to put some smaller flakes in a corner for them when I feed everyone else, so food isn't an issue. I love them.

I have been thinking of putting them in a 10, however. Mostly because I was wanting some larger fish.

I have about 10 in my 40 breeder. Lovely fish. Mine aren't shy at all (they were tank raised though so that could play a factor in their behavior) ; they come to the front of the tank like the other fish when they see me, hoping for food. They are slower and more timid than other fish when feeding though so it can be tricky to get food to them in a community tank, particularly since they like to feed on foods as they fall to the bottom. Most CPDs wont' come to the surface to eat although I have a couple that do venture upwards when feeding. I also need to turn my canister filter off when feeding as the food gets blown around otherwise and it's hard for the CPDs to catch food. I soak food before putting it into the tank (usually NLS or HIkari micro pellets) so that it falls downward and the CPDs can catch the food as it goes down. Golden Pearls are a favorite as well; the granules float in the water which lets the fish catch them. Kens fish sells them.

Back
Top Bottom