Celestial Pearl Danios / CPD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Celestichthys margaritatus aka Galaxy Rasbora..... maybe has some other names too???

This thread is for the sharing of information on the intriguing. mysterious little fish.

I have a bunch maybe 15 and they hide frequently, mostly when I walk into the room. If they see me looking at them my tanks turn into a big plant tank with invisible fish.

During a recognizance mission (hiding behind the wall) I was able to identify that they happily swim in all levels of the tank including the front of the tank if they do not think any one is watching.

They are by far some of the most beautifully colored and patterned nano fish.

Mine are with 6 Habrosus Cories and a few Red Ramshorn snails, and have been living with a baby Angelfish for only a few more days though as it is now able to go to the other tank.

I love these fish. Waiting for my lfs to get some so I can start a species tank of the little guys.

I frequently read people commenting about CPDs being shy but I never experienced that with them! My only complaint is that they're so busy it's difficult to get good photos of them!

img_3258585_0_d8722d84c1fcb00d0ede8b245aa98f36.jpg

I have 1 in my 20 gal Cory tank. They're so hard to find and this tank crashed about 6 months ago. Been looking for more every since. They were my only loss. My Cory cats are pretty tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I actually just ordered a dozen CPD's this morning. I am excited to get them. Not cheap though, specially with the shipping charges added to it.

I actually just ordered a dozen CPD's this morning. I am excited to get them. Not cheap though, specially with the shipping charges added to it.

Where did you order from? I found the CPDs I bought online were much hardier than those I got at the lfs.

I picked up 8 CPDs from the LFS last week. They are in QT at the moment. They were quite pale initially but have colored up a little bit. One may have died; found something against the filter intake (could be a fuzzy piece of zucchini?) Zucchini is for some otos I picked up as well.
I checked with a local company (Batfish Aquatics) and the website did not list CPDs. It did list Dwarf Rasboras / Celestichthys (Microrasbora) erythromicron.
The CPDs in my planted tank like to hide. They will come out during feeding time. Several months ago when I had furcata rainbows, the CPDs and ember tetras would swim freely about the tank. The furcatas were like aquatic "puppies" and everyone loves puppies. The CPD males would spar and be completely oblivious to any other fish swimming by. I was hoping a pair of golden tetras would have the same effect but I think they spook the CPDs and embers.

Interesting about the lfs stock. Last time I went to get some from my lfs they all liked really sickly so I passed. I'm still waiting for a good batch.

Interesting about the lfs stock. Last time I went to get some from my lfs they all liked really sickly so I passed. I'm still waiting for a good batch.

The Wet Spot in Portland sells them, and they ship as well. Their stock is very good.

Well, I stopped by the LFS in the am and no CPDs were there. The store owner asked what I was looking for, made a phone call (to his fish broker?) and said to me "We'll give you a call this afternoon when they arrive".
I've ordered CPDs from the LFS before and several months later I have 4 maybe 5 remaining. The plants provide a lot of hiding spaces. So counting is iffy at best.

Theresa, what other fish do you have or background on the tank, just a pic please and any info.

Fresh about the Furcata were they sparing with the CPD or just each other?

When I asked at one lfs if they had them...they said "what is that?" lol

The furcata were outgoing and did not hesitate to approach other fish such as the CPDs. They did not nip. They would be more like Bulls in a china shop.
The CPD males would do the circle dance as if they were in their own world. Eventually one would swim off.
Though they hid most of the time (while I sat in front of the tank), occasionally a CPD would dash into the open water and then disappear into the foliage. This would be followed by one or two more CPDs exiting the plants in a chain reaction.
Feeding has not been a problem as they readily accept crushed NLS flakes and FD tubifex worms.

They love micro worms. And baby brine shrimp too.

Maybe we will try to order from wet spot. We got 10 from Arizona aquatics and all died have were DOA.

My LfS has them very rarely. I find if I go into LA they're more likely to have some of the rare fish.

I have seen them for 6.99-9.99 if they are available at the lfs. I got one batch from a friend and another from a member here who was military and had to go out of country.

Originally when I did get them because all the other times they were too expensive, I found them 4 or 5 for $12 (if I remember correctly) and I got 10 I think. They were very small and barely looked like the amazing little fish they are.

Now my little school is hiding most of the time.

Since they are so beautiful I am hoping to set up a tank next to the couch where I can see them more closely.

Also wondering if I took out more of the fern and DW and they wouldn't have as many places to hide... Maybe a wall of Vals in the back.

In my little 12G tank, there was a 2 inch Mystery snail that died (didn't know it was dead) and fouled the water and I lost all but 2 or 3 from the original batch. Around the time I was setting up to pick up the larger bunch.

Now I have a nice bunch and no more adult Mystery snails in the nano tanks.

I have 10 of them in my 20 high with a couple of Pygmaeus cories and one baby peppered Cory, my school never hides, and they are so pretty, but when you stick your hand in the water to move something, they just scatter

Sent via echolocation

Tell about the tank and water parameters you have them in. Have you had any breeding, and any actual babies raised up to size?

Mine are in a 12G Edge with Eco Complete. Several Crypts, DW with Bolbitus Large and petite. And the 6 aforementioned dwarf Cories.

My water is different through out the year due to the location of the city water supply (a lake or the reservoir) , between 6.5-7.4 pH. I also have to add supplements because I have no KH.

They eat everything. But it takes them a couple minutes to realize there is food in the tank. Usually I will drop a little tiny amount and then when they seem to notice, I will feed them. Otherwise they miss a bunch of food, which the Cories like just fine.

I have 10 of them in my 20 high with a couple of Pygmaeus cories and one baby peppered Cory, my school never hides, and they are so pretty, but when you stick your hand in the water to move something, they just scatter

Sent via echolocation

Any pic of the design/decor of the tank?

Everyone else have pics of their tanks???

Here is a pic, tank looks almost like this now, though this is an older pic.
60074-albums13090-picture68690.jpg

Haven't added decor yet, I'm trying to find a nice piece of driftwood, but here's the current tank

It's going to be a hillstream loach tank

Sent via echolocation

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438625316.662208.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438625316.662208.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 354
They love micro worms. And baby brine shrimp too.

Maybe we will try to order from wet spot. We got 10 from Arizona aquatics and all died have were DOA.

My LfS has them very rarely. I find if I go into LA they're more likely to have some of the rare fish.
Wet Spot is great! I've ordered from them quite a few times and never had a problem.

Would never use AZ Aquatics again.....

Back
Top Bottom