Cenote/Mexican Cave tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sfoxworth89

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, first time posting here. I was wondering if anyone has slapped together a cenote biotope, I mean one that looks really authentic, not just matched the water conditions. Something with a lot of limestone (I understand the time needed to develop the same "icicle" effect as in nature) a nice green-ish tint, maybe LEDs or something. I mostly want to know what the effect of having a largely limestone tank would be on the water. In nature the water is constantly flowing away, maybe a huge filter would be needed. Just shootin' some ideas out. I think if it were done right a tank like that could be reeeeaaally cool.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking about setting something up in my extra 29 gal and monitoring the water constantly.

I think with the huge amount of limestone you want 29gal wont have enough water.

I mean the limestone will take up a large amount of volume and that'll reduce the amount of space for water.

After snorkeling Riviera Maya cenote, I would just add smooth large boulder type rocks along bottom creating up along sides. Being in a cave, the fish have no eyes so look for blind tetra's. As for lighting, keep just a led on it for you viewing pleasure (maybe blue), don't make too bright. You could find a way to make sharp rocks either from below or above. Good luck.

Fishandmusic81 said:
That's an awesome idea I've also thought about it but seems to difficult at the moment id like to see someone actually pull this off

I believe TFH had a article about a set up for blind cave tetras, might be worth a web search.

I would be cool if your only illumination was moonlights, I think that would help complete the whole "cave" atmosphere. :)

thats a cool idea. i hope you try it out,love to follow along

Just another thought, try one of those foam backgrounds. You could shape, carve, etc to make it look cave-like.

Back
Top Bottom