center piece fish ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lockert81

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi im looking to get a center piece fish for our 26gallon (uk) community tank. Other fish I have in there are guppies, mollies, neon tetras, cherry barbs and a couple of alge eaters (cant remember what they are called). We was looking at getting an angelfish but read up on them and some people say yes and others no, what are your thoughts?
Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Something colourful would be good.

Hi im looking to get a center piece fish for our 26gallon (uk) community tank. Other fish I have in there are guppies, mollies, neon tetras, cherry barbs and a couple of alge eaters (cant remember what they are called). We was looking at getting an angelfish but read up on them and some people say yes and others no, what are your thoughts?
Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Something colourful would be good.

What's the exact numbers of the fish you have? How long has your tank been running? And can you post a pic of the algae eaters? This will help give suggestions

Sounds like the cherry barbs will be your limiting factor. I would be inclined to suggest a gourami or an angel, but barbs can be fin nippers.

Sounds like the cherry barbs will be your limiting factor. I would be inclined to suggest a gourami or an angel, but barbs can be fin nippers.

These barbs are actually quite peaceful and aren't known to nip like other barbs.

Never had problems with the barbs fin nipping and they went in after the guppies. Tank has been up and running for 4 months water tested and water change done everyweek, not had any water problems for about 2 months now.
Numbers are as follows,
8 neon tetras
2 cherry barbs
9 guppies
2 mollies
2 alge eaters. Cant get picture at the moment they are both hiding round the back of the filter. I remember that they dont grow really big about 4inch the LFS told me

Never had problems with the barbs fin nipping and they went in after the guppies. Tank has been up and running for 4 months water tested and water change done everyweek, not had any water problems for about 2 months now.
Numbers are as follows,
8 neon tetras
2 cherry barbs
9 guppies
2 mollies
2 alge eaters. Cant get picture at the moment they are both hiding round the back of the filter. I remember that they dont grow really big about 4inch the LFS told me

First of all I'd get the cherry barbs up to 6. Then I'd do 2 rams. I'd look up: german blue rams, electric blue rams, gold rams, Bolivian rams. Lastly don't always trust the LFS. Most only want to sell. But when you can get a picture, we will be able to tell you the truth ;)

Alge eaters

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131005_201230.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131005_201230.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 72
  • ForumRunner_20131005_201256.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131005_201256.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 74
Oh I realise they talk out of their backside most of the time lol the list of lfs I will go to is dropping fast because of this reason

With regard to angels the neons will be your limiting factor not the cherrys. Cherry barbs are pretty much the most peaceful barbs you can get and don't fin nip at all, but as the angels grow you will find the number of neons will drop literally overnight. You won't see the angels go for the neons because they are ambush hunters and will wait till the neons are asleep at night and pick them off. The number of people I have met who say their neons just keep vanishing overnight is huge. First thing I always ask now is do you have angels and 99 times out of 100 they do.

With regard to angels the neons will be your limiting factor not the cherrys. Cherry barbs are pretty much the most peaceful barbs you can get and don't fin nip at all, but as the angels grow you will find the number of neons will drop literally overnight. You won't see the angels go for the neons because they are ambush hunters and will wait till the neons are asleep at night and pick them off. The number of people I have met who say their neons just keep vanishing overnight is huge. First thing I always ask now is do you have angels and 99 times out of 100 they do.

That was my only real concern. Was going to go for a young angel so it grow up with the guppies and didnt pester them to much but thought they would eat the neons. Might look into moving them into our other tank if we cant decide what rams to get as they look nice

Rams are great little fish. Personally I prefer the Germans and electric blues over golden and Bolivians. The electric blues at the moment are still a little more expensive here in the uk but the prices are always coming down as they get easier to find.

A male betta of some sort, they are peaceful without other of there kind or fish that Look alike, today many bettas suffer of being kept in small bowls but putting one in a 26 will make a betta feel better then ever!

Just a quick update. We went with a pair of golden rams as center piece fish, looked very nice in our tank but sadly a week later they have both died! LFS took both fish back as still under warranty :) we now have 2 dwarf gouramis and fingers crossed we have better luck with these

Rams are great little fish. Personally I prefer the Germans and electric blues over golden and Bolivians. The electric blues at the moment are still a little more expensive here in the uk but the prices are always coming down as they get easier to find.

Blue rams are one of my favorites, and I don't find them to pricey for what you get. Only down side would be the lifespan, around 3 years. Though some people may like that, if they change their stock a lot.

Sorry to hear about your fish, some people do have trouble keeping them.

Was told when we returned them that they prefer soft water and ours is on the harder side so thought it best not to get anymore. The blue rams are lovely but the other half prefered the colour of the golden rams

Back
Top Bottom