Center Piece Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stefernini

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am in need of a bright center piece fish for my tank.

I currently have:
Celestial Pearl Danios
Lemon Tetras
Honey Gourami
Cherry Shrimp

I'm looking for something that will get along with the above, not eat them, and preferably not need buddies. I only want one or two.

I have a 50 gallon tank.

Thank you ahead of time for your suggestions.

What us your substrate? If it's sand or smooth gravel, look into a peacock eel. They will be fins without buddies( but more is better) overtime, they can be trained to eat from your hand.

I have economy complete substrate. Never heard of apistos, I'll have to look at those.

I don't think gbr's or apistos will work, my water isn't acidic enough. 7.8

Any thing else?

I really want angels but I don't want my shrimp or my Danios becoming snacks.

You could do one or two dens ion barbs. They are one of the only barbs which don't need a school.

Maybe a pearl gourami? They are quite peaceful and can reach 4-5 inches long.

The shrimps are the limiting factor, if they were not there I would have said Keyhole or a Rainbow Cichlid. Apisto's, Pearl Gourami are a no no, I've seen both enjoy shrimp - Bolivian Rams would be a possibility, mine don't bother with shrimp, or a pair of Cupid Cichlids. GBR, some will eat shrimp some won't.

There are a few different kind of rams, the gbr, the electric blue, the Bolivian, etc. the gbr being the most difficult to care for in my opinion. Some of the rest can deal with higher ph. I would say try to get captive bred as they are the most hardy.

German Rams in whatever colour form are a nightmare to keep alive. Bolivian Rams would work though, i have a big one with celestial pearl danios with no bother. I've just bought a pair of curviceps and they are superb, but not tried them with the cpd's yet as the tank is temporarily partitioned so time will tell,but i expect them to be ok. I've also had Orange Chromides in with small fish with no problem, and they are nice deep yellow coloured. I have read that that could be risky though.

I have two logs with lots of nooks and crannies and two big clumps of java moss they hide in.

I have lots of research to do sounds like! Thanks for all the suggestions.

I broke one of my own rules and bought from petsmart. Meet the newest members of our community, six turquoise rainbows! They're a bit nipped, but I think they'll be fine.

(I guess I'll add a picture in a bit. This app keeps crashing when I try to attach it)

I have them in quarantine atm. Funny tho, I walked out of the store with the fish and a new 10g and filter and not one person said a word. I would have given them points for doing so.

I've never actually quarantined before, that's why I bought the 10. I put water from my 50 and the filter from my betta tank in it. How long should I leave them in there?

(edit: I need to not use this app I guess. Four pics, sorry)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121006_172515.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121006_172515.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 76
  • ForumRunner_20121006_172533.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121006_172533.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 77
  • ForumRunner_20121006_173235.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121006_173235.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 69
  • ForumRunner_20121006_173257.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121006_173257.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 66
How long should I quarantine? I've had these guys since sunday, and they're all looking good.

ForumRunner_20121010_080843.jpg

I'd say 2 wks minimum. Keep up with daily 50% water change, even though you seem to have an old filter in there.... Normally, what I do is replace 50% water dialy 1/2 of it main tank water and 1/2 fresh water. Good luck.

BTW, petsmart fish aren't that bad. As discussed many times here and elsewhere, it all depends on individual stores. All my fish are bought from petsmart locally and almost all my purchases have been fine (except for a bad batch of cardinals, but they are cardinals......)

Back
Top Bottom