Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-28-2015, 11:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Trainer_Ruby_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Eastern America
Posts: 898
Centerpiece

Can a platy be considered a centerpiece fish? I have 3 mollies a platy 4 Kuhli loaches a dojo loach and some corydoras cats and I can't decide if I want to get a new addition to be the centerpiece or up the mollies and make the platy a centerpiece


Sent from peliper
__________________

__________________
Trainer_Ruby_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
SpaceFish42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,168
A centerpiece fish can really just be any fish that you think is interesting and draws attention to itself.
__________________

__________________
SpaceFish42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dallascowboys16's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Highlands Ranch, Co
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainer_Ruby_ View Post
Can a platy be considered a centerpiece fish? I have 3 mollies a platy 4 Kuhli loaches a dojo loach and some corydoras cats and I can't decide if I want to get a new addition to be the centerpiece or up the mollies and make the platy a centerpiece


Sent from peliper
i kind of confused what you mean by make the platy the center piece? You don't need a designated "centerpiece" just get fish you like and are compatible.
__________________
55 gallon Planted Tank - 10 gallon Reef - 5.5 Pea Puffer
2015 AA Fantasy Football Champion
Dallascowboys16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ImACoolguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,954
1. What size tank do you have?

My dojo has always been the star of my tank because he is always so active. They also get to be 10 inches so I would say that's a "centerpiece".


Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
__________________
ImACoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Trainer_Ruby_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Eastern America
Posts: 898
I have a 20g and right now my dojo is at about 4 1/2in to 5in. I'm also upgrading the tank as I need room so by the time he gets to his max size I'm hoping to have a 55g tank.


Sent from peliper
__________________
Trainer_Ruby_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ImACoolguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainer_Ruby_ View Post
I have a 20g and right now my dojo is at about 4 1/2in to 5in. I'm also upgrading the tank as I need room so by the time he gets to his max size I'm hoping to have a 55g tank.


Sent from peliper

Yes I would definitely look towards an upgrade. Loaches need lots of footprint for swimming space along the bottom. I used to keep my dojo in a 45g. I got a 75g and I can already tell he loves all the extra swimming room because they are very active swimmers.


Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
__________________
ImACoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ImACoolguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,954
IMO you are pretty stocked as is right now. I would wait till you upgrade the tank to get more fish.


Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
__________________
ImACoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Trainer_Ruby_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Eastern America
Posts: 898
It's actually surprising how fast they grow. I got her a couple of months ago when I didn't know what she was. She was so small I originally had her in a 2.5 for a month then a 5 for a month and a half then a 10 for about two to three months now a 20 for about a month already soon a 55 and hopefully she lives to see something over 100g.


Sent from peliper
__________________
Trainer_Ruby_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ImACoolguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainer_Ruby_ View Post
It's actually surprising how fast they grow. I got her a couple of months ago when I didn't know what she was. She was so small I originally had her in a 2.5 for a month then a 5 for a month and a half then a 10 for about two to three months now a 20 for about a month already soon a 55 and hopefully she lives to see something over 100g.


Sent from peliper

Mine grew from 2 inches to 5 inches in 3 months


Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
__________________
ImACoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Trainer_Ruby_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Eastern America
Posts: 898
One thing I've been thinking of was moving my corydoras to my 10g with my beta and Otto because now there's no bottom feeders in that tank and the loaches in the 20g. Can a 10g keep 6 corydoras and be fine or will it require more water changes


Sent from peliper
__________________
Trainer_Ruby_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:05 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ImACoolguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainer_Ruby_ View Post
One thing I've been thinking of was moving my corydoras to my 10g with my beta and Otto because now there's no bottom feeders in that tank and the loaches in the 20g. Can a 10g keep 6 corydoras and be fine or will it require more water changes


Sent from peliper

I have heard of corydoras working with a Betta but it's really luck. Bettas are very territorial.


Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
__________________
ImACoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:28 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 26
Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
IanEHeCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
centerpiece

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good centerpiece coral aquanaut Saltwater Reef Aquaria 7 07-18-2005 01:26 PM
Decorative rock centerpiece Hooie Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 13 04-15-2005 04:28 AM
Centerpiece fish for nano river tank? Pseudomugil furcatus? czcz Cichlid Discussion 8 04-13-2005 09:38 PM
Centerpiece fish for a 10gal CollinT Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 10 12-20-2004 07:17 PM
Suggest a "Centerpiece" fish for me. ScottS Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 7 11-09-2003 09:33 AM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.