Centerpiece Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jumbaaa

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need some help. When Irene hit it killed off the tank *well most of it) (power loss)
now it is cleaned re cycled and levels are all back to normal. I am looking for a centerpiece fish for a communal tank *29 gallons)
Thanks in advance
John

I agree with the post above! Here is a picture of my powder blue gourami.

Attachments

• image-2911580104.jpg
    image-2911580104.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 121
For fresh water I would have to say blue dolphins. I think they are also called moors. Correct me if I'm wrong. And for salt reef it would have to be the flame angel.

For fresh water I would have to say blue dolphins. I think they are also called moors. Correct me if I'm wrong. And for salt reef it would have to be the flame angel.

Not exactly sure if an African cichlid would work in a community tank. I may be wrong though. I was just under the impression they need to be in a species/lake only tanks.

They are really pretty though! Kind of a similar look to my flowerhorn.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Not exactly sure if an African cichlid would work in a community tank. I may be wrong though. I was just under the impression they need to be in a species/lake only tanks.

They are really pretty though! Kind of a similar look to my flowerhorn.

I read that they should be kept with other like tgemselves

Thought so. Just making sure. I have never seen or heard of anyone keeping an African outside of a large group of them.

Anyway, you could try some of the gouramis. Any of the dwarves are very pretty little guys or maybe some of the other bettas (other than betta splendens). I think angel fish will be too big for a 29g though. Rams and other smaller cichlids are great. Apistogrammas or keyholes.

What else is in your tank?

I have a gbr and shes just great. Im getting a male so i can try to breed them.

I think 29 is the bare minimum for an angelfish.. I really like dwarf cichlids or gouramis for centerpiece fish. You could do a pearl gourami, those are my favorites. And dwarf gouramis are always nice as well. A fancier type of botia would also make a nice center piece.

GBR's or Kribs. If you go with GBR's stay away from the balloon variants, they are too touchy and wont last long. Apistogramma agassizii's are nice (that's if you can even find them).

Brian_Nano12g said:
GBR's or Kribs. If you go with GBR's stay away from the balloon variants, they are too touchy and wont last long. Apistogramma agassizii's are nice (that's if you can even find them).

What do you mean balloon variants?

orandafan12 said:
What do you mean balloon variants?

Balloon Rams are a variation of the GBR species that resemble a bulbous shape in comparison to the common GBR. Its actually a genetic defect that breeders have selectively bred Rams to express that gene type that causes the abnormal shape. Unfortunately as a result, these type of Rams are very sensitive and don't last long.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Thought so. Just making sure. I have never seen or heard of anyone keeping an African outside of a large group of them.

Anyway, you could try some of the gouramis. Any of the dwarves are very pretty little guys or maybe some of the other bettas (other than betta splendens). I think angel fish will be too big for a 29g though. Rams and other smaller cichlids are great. Apistogrammas or keyholes.

What else is in your tank?

I have rainbows, Congo tetra and plecos with the dolphins.

Cyrtocara moori aka "The Malawi Blue Dolphin" or "Moori" is actually a Haplochromine that grows up to 8" and shouldn't be kept in anything smaller than a 125 gallons, I have no idea why it is being suggested for a 29 gallon community. Mooris are a very peaceful hap and need to be housed with fairly peaceful tank mates or other Mooris.

i didn't know there was a 'Balloon variant' of the GBR !

that's really interesting.
There are several balloon varieties of freshwater fish including mollies and red-eye tetras.

Mogurako said:
Cyrtocara moori aka "The Malawi Blue Dolphin" or "Moori" is actually a Haplochromine that grows up to 8" and shouldn't be kept in anything smaller than a 125 gallons, I have no idea why it is being suggested for a 29 gallon community. Mooris are a very peaceful hap and need to be housed with fairly peaceful tank mates or other Mooris.

Yes they are very peaceful.

ksl1972 said:
29 gallon is way to small

I am aware it is but you're the one who suggested the fish!

ksl1972 said:

Back
Top Bottom