Centerpiece fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tjd4003

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm wondering if it would be safe to add anything else to my 15 gallon community tank.

It currently has 9 cardinal tetras, 4 male guppies and a zebra nerite snail.

The tank is running two filters, a slim s20, and a penguin 100b. The penguin filter creates a fair amount of current and the guppies and tetras love to play in it. It's off to one side with the s20 in the middle. This leaves the other side of the tank quite calm for when the fish need to take a break from "surfing" in the current.

I had considered the tank fully stocked and if that is the case I'll leave it alone, but since I moved the betta out (before adding the guppies) I feel it needs 1 fish of that size.

I'm considering a blue dwarf gourami for the tank. Do you think I can pull it off in this tank or will it be two crowded? There are lots of fake plants and decorations in the tank. I would also consider a single Molly if that may work?

I watch all my tanks very closely. I check the readings with an API master kit at least twice a week if not more often, and do give the fish fresh water more often the most people often recommend.

Thanks for your help!:fish2::fish1:

IMO, you have the room for one, maaayybee even two, more fish... Depending on the type of fish of course.

T'was me, since you are so well filtered, in addition to your centerpiece I would also toss in one more male Guppy because I don't like even numbers.

If you really want a molly, I recommend a gold dust Molly. They are gorgeous

Mollies can be rather nippy and mean. Watch out for your male Guppies if you decide to get one.

so with gouramis in the maybe pile for diseases, and mollies in the maybe pile due to nipping, what other types fish could I add?

Thanks so much to everyone whos gotten back to me so far, ive only been in the hobby for about half a year so any help is much appreciated!!!

Find another species of gourami such as true honey gouramis or something like a paradise fish.

IMO, you have the room for one, maaayybee even two, more fish... Depending on the type of fish of course.

T'was me, since you are so well filtered, in addition to your centerpiece I would also toss in one more male Guppy because I don't like even numbers.

I had 9 different guppies to get 4 that survived. There were no more then 5 in the tank at one time, but they kept dieing on me. The first two died when I tried to quarenten them in a 5 gallon hex tank that wasnt cycled. I think they were ammonia poisoned. The others showed signs of trouble as soon as I got them home and eventually passed on their own. Water conditions for the other fish were great, so the only thing I can think of for them dieing is weak genes due to inbreeding. The four I have now are strong swimmers, and very active.

I want more guppies, but i'm not sure if I will get them due to my bad experience.

Maybe a Bolivian Ram?
Or better yet, since you don't have any bottom dwellers...
A small group, maybe three, of Dwarf Cories (Corydoras Hastatus)?

Crepe said:
Find another species of gourami such as true honey gouramis or something like a paradise fish.
Paradise fish can be mean. They are right up there with Bettas, maybe worse.

I never had a problem with my dalmation Molly nipping. She was in with around 30 male guppies and never nipped anything. IME, you'll be fine with one

Maybe a Bolivian Ram?
Or better yet, since you don't have any bottom dwellers...
A small group, maybe three, of Dwarf Cories (Corydoras Hastatus)?

Paradise fish are mean. They are right up there with Bettas, maybe worse.

bettas are mean? since when??? i've had 2 and neither was mean. my female lived with 3 ADF'S,a couple endlers,and 3 ottos and was fine. my male lived with 3 ottos and a couple endlers(would of been with my frogs to if my cray wasnt an acrobat). both were friendly to the others in the tank, and never hurt any of them. but i wouldn't suggest a paradise fish for a 15, from what i've read( and beleive me,i've read a LOT) they need a 20-30 gallon minimum.but IME,they aren't that aggressive

alLexX said:
bettas are mean? since when??? i've had 2 and neither was mean. my female lived with 3 ADF'S,a couple endlers,and 3 ottos and was fine. my male lived with 3 ottos and a couple endlers(would of been with my frogs to if my cray wasnt an acrobat). both were friendly to the others in the tank, and never hurt any of them. but i wouldn't suggest a paradise fish for a 15, from what i've read( and beleive me,i've read a LOT) they need a 20-30 gallon minimum.but IME,they aren't that aggressive

Every fish is different, but IN GENERAL Bettas should not be kept with other fish that have long flowing fins, such as male Guppies.

I just had to seperate my betta, as he was,plucking eyeballs from my corys.

Every fish is different, but IN GENERAL Bettas should not be kept with other fish that have long flowing fins, such as male Guppies.

i realize every fish is different. and yes,they shouldnt be kept wiht fish that have long fins or look like them, i was just commenting on the "bettas are mean" which is wrong. they are teritorial,and fight amongst themselves(and fish that look like them). not mean. now im gonna stop going OT before i get an infraction

alLexX said:
i realize every fish is different. and yes,they shouldnt be kept wiht fish that have long fins or look like them, i was just commenting on the "bettas are mean" which is wrong. they are teritorial,and fight amongst themselves(and fish that look like them). not mean. now im gonna stop going OT before i get an infraction

Ok, you are very correct and I apologize for the misleading information, I should have been more specific.

My betta lived with cardinal tetras, and african dwarf frogs. He occasionally would chase the tetras, and would flare at the frogs when they were mating (ampliexing) otherwise he ignored everyone else.

I moved him into his own tank before I got guppies, I figured there fins would be to tempting for him.

I was in a LFS today, and am thinking the dalmation molly, and one more guppy might be the way to go

Back
Top Bottom