Centerpiece Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

codygregg

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want a centerpiece fish for my 25gal tank. I have been thinking about either a single angel (when it gets too big i have someone to take it), german blue rams, or bolivian rams. I'm not sure about the rams. Any advise would be much appreciated :)

What is your current stock and is your tank planted? Rams are very sensitive to nitrates which should be no higher then 20ppms but I prefer 10ppms. Also German Blue Rams do much better when added to a mature 4-6 month old tank. Bolivians while not as colorful but are alittle more hardy and can be added sooner than GBR's. GBR's also like their tank water alittle warmer so 79-80F with 80F being the preferred temp.

I want a centerpiece fish for my 25gal tank. I have been thinking about either a single angel (when it gets too big i have someone to take it), german blue rams, or bolivian rams. I'm not sure about the rams. Any advise would be much appreciated :)

Leopard ctenopoma

Leopard ctenopoma

leopard ctenopomas need at least a 50 gallon tank because they can get to 6 inches long so I would suggest this as a tank stock but it really depends on what shape your tank is but if it a 25long then this will be a good stocking list..

1 dwarf gourami
8 tetras
8 pygmy cories
10 red cherry shrimp

but if you tank is not planted you should reduce all of those numbers to six each

leopard ctenopomas need at least a 50 gallon tank because they can get to 6 inches long so I would suggest this as a tank stock but it really depends on what shape your tank is but if it a 25long then this will be a good stocking list..

1 dwarf gourami
8 tetras
8 pygmy cories
10 red cherry shrimp

but if you tank is not planted you should reduce all of those numbers to six each

Sorry your wrong 25 is plenty as long as you've got good filtration and keep on top of water changes my friend has a two year old leopard bush in it and he is fine! I mean absolutely fine!

yes but it isn't recommended and your friend shouldn't have a fish in a 25g that is ment for a 50g the fish can survive in that size tank but it won't thrive and be happy

yes but it isn't recommended and your friend shouldn't have a fish in a 25g that is ment for a 50g the fish can survive in that size tank but it won't thrive and be happy
What is your information based on??? Let me guess a profile on the Internet which somebody you don't know has said that! Hahaha unless you have kept a leopard bush in a 25 which the parameters where kept perfect and your leopard was as you call it "unhappy" then don't jump into a thread looking for an argument I have bred leopards and have distributed them to stores and many of my friends so sorry unless you have information to argue against my reply that actually is from your own experience don't comment!

My tank is a 25gal, planted, with two fluval 50 filters (running on low) ... All I have right now is 3 emerald cories because they were given to me. So i'm looking for a stock.

What is your information based on??? Let me guess a profile on the Internet which somebody you don't know has said that! Hahaha unless you have kept a leopard bush in a 25 which the parameters where kept perfect and your leopard was as you call it "unhappy" then don't jump into a thread looking for an argument I have bred leopards and have distributed them to stores and many of my friends so sorry unless you have information to argue against my reply that actually is from your own experience don't comment!

Well that was a bit rude.

The internet isn't filled with baseless profiles and suggestions for fish despite what you seem to be suggesting. Yes there are a lot of things about fish that are difficult for everyday people to be able to prove like stunting and the long term effect of nitrAte poisoning but there are papers out there that back up the commonly held principles of fish keeping include fish~tank size.

So you've had good luck with leopards in a 25G, that's fantastic, congrats to you. Tell people that for sure but don't go around declaring suddenly that based upon YOUR experience the entire collective internet library/opinion is suddenly wrong.

I think a pair of GBR's or Electric Blue GBR's would be a good choice. Breeding is always fun to watch. Some Bolivians would be a good choice as well but I prefer GBR's because of their awesome colors.

Well that was a bit rude.

The internet isn't filled with baseless profiles and suggestions for fish despite what you seem to be suggesting. Yes there are a lot of things about fish that are difficult for everyday people to be able to prove like stunting and the long term effect of nitrAte poisoning but there are papers out there that back up the commonly held principles of fish keeping include fish~tank size.

So you've had good luck with leopards in a 25G, that's fantastic, congrats to you. Tell people that for sure but don't go around declaring suddenly that based upon YOUR experience the entire collective internet library/opinion is suddenly wrong.

That's a good point, but lets not argue. We're here to learn from eachother correct? Talk fish, not smack. ?

Cockatoos are actually pretty hardy compared to rams, they have a high pH tolerance also. But also depends on where you get your rams. I think a breeder is your best bet as opposed to a LFS

Only reason I'm saying cockatoos are for the fact that is what I'm going for with cardinal tetras, cory cats, and some otos in a 45 planted. I plan on getting 3, 2-1 female/male.

OH guys! ABout the rams. I found a great private fish shop today about 60 miles from me. WORTH THE DRIVE. Awesome stock. He had about 7 or 8 different kinds of rams. Some I never heard of or seen on any of the sites. I was so excited and in fish geek nirvana I forgot to write down the names of them. I will go back next week and will make a point to do do. The new types of rams i saw just blew me away how beautiful they were. Gosh! I wish I had got their names. Ram lovers, I will keep you posted. OS.

Back
Top Bottom