Centerpiece Fish! Need your suggestions :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pollex.jaypee

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have this 20 gal tank with 8 danios and 5 ghost shrimps.
And I wanted a centerpiece fish.
My original plan was a betta, but upon observing the danios and reading about them, I realized that they could actually stress the betta :bawl:

So just like most of us here, we want a perfect aquarium life for our fishies :D

So uhm, any suggestion guys?

Thanks in advance.

I have a 20 gallon aquarium that I was going to stick with some rummy nose tetras. It's a live planted tank with a few hiding spots so I planned on doing an American flag fish for my centerpiece in that one! Relatively inexpensive and will do fine in a community aquarium. I have kept them before and they love to swim so make sure there are open areas in the tank.

I enjoyed keeping them so I paid the money and had them shipped from live aquaria! The dwarf gouramis are a good choice as well just keep in mind they are more susceptible to disease than your danios so as long as you do regular water changes you will be fine. I would reccomend 2 of them though. They seem to enjoy swimming in pairs. Lastly with dwarf gouramis they breathe regular air so you have to make sure they can get to the surface to take a breath! If you have a hood just make sure you don't fill the water all the way up. If you have an open top tank well obviously you're fine! Hope this helps

I've read that the honey gourami (colisa chuna) isn't susceptible to the iridovirus like other dwarf gourami variants. There are also sunset honey gouramis and red honey gouramis.

But I'm wondering whether the bolivian ram that Pandicorn mentioned would be a better fit. The hyper danios could stay on top with the bolivian on bottom.

Thank you everyone for the reply! I deeply appreciate it :)

About the bolivian ram, I haven't had a single experience with it, but it really looks interesting. Can i really put it with my danios? How is the compatability?
Anyway, what our LFS currently offers are blue rams. Can I have one blue ram as a centerpiece instead?

About the gourami...
I would reccomend 2 of them though. They seem to enjoy swimming in pairs.
I'm not really good with sexing. So how can I identify between a male or a female? I've read that I should be getting only 2 females or a pair (1 male,1 female)

And about the honey gourami, are there any difference with the dwarf one? Should I keep them in a pair too?

And finally, which would be better:
A bolivian/blue ram or a dwarf/honey gourami?

Sorry for all those questions. Really want a perfect aquarium for the fishies.Thank you so much guys :D

What would be better is you're own opinion and style! They'll all work okay. Standard dwarf goramis are fairly easy to sex. Males are the more colorful of the 2. The dwarf gouramis have dull colors with a slight silver tint to them. Your lfs should be able to sex them for you

But with the ram, I only get one right?Unlike with the gourami in which I could get two?
Ow, I think their gouramis are still juvenile and they are not really good in sexing either.(I asked them to sex their firemouths but they said they couldn't)

Anyway thank you for the american flag suggestion. I've been reading about them and they look so cool! But man, I can't enter those types of transactions yet.
One day, I might be able to bag myself one.Thank you for introducing those fish to me :)

So here are my top 3 considerations for a centerpiece:

A pair of gourami
A betta
A bolivian ram

Thank you again guys :D

But with the ram, I only get one right?Unlike with the gourami in which I could get two?
Ow, I think their gouramis are still juvenile and they are not really good in sexing either.(I asked them to sex their firemouths but they said they couldn't)

Anyway thank you for the american flag suggestion. I've been reading about them and they look so cool! But man, I can't enter those types of transactions yet.
One day, I might be able to bag myself one.Thank you for introducing those fish to me :)

So here are my top 3 considerations for a centerpiece:

A pair of gourami
A betta
A bolivian ram

Thank you again guys :D

Go gourami!!! I just got 2 from the LFS Saturday - one blue, one red flame. The colors are amazing, especially the blue one which is really like a silver blue with hints of lilac and I love the way the move and wiggle their tail. I work from home and am not getting much done as I keep wanting to go and just watch them!

Good point made by pandicorn they will breed! I would Definately stay away from the Betta. The zebra danios will be, in my opinion, too hyper for the Betta. Also the Betta will enjoy nipping at the fins on the danios and vice versa. Either gouramis or Bolivian rams are good! If I am not mistaken I believe gouramis are your cheaper choice.

Thank you so much guys for everything!This is really a good forum.
I've decided, I'll go with the gourami :)
Next problem is getting a pair. But I guess that would just be an easy part!
Again thank you so much guys :D

Back
Top Bottom