Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-23-2020, 06:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Centrepiece suggestions?

Hey all, I would really appreciate your two cents here.
I have an established 160l planted tank that is in need of some new centrepiece fish. It had a group of banded gourami which I loved/hated because they were so unique, but insanely shy.
Over time all but one gourami died, and Im starting to miss medium sized fish. (I see this gourami about a total of 10 seconds a day - he hides below the filter and snatches any food that drops by.)
As far as stocking I have: 4 corys, 6 harlequins, 6 glowlights, 1 bristlenose pleco, 4 ottos, 1 gourami, and 2 (new) giant African shrimp.
Firstly, do I have space for 4 or more medium sized fish? Im pretty sure theres enough real estate in the tank but I'd like some objective opinions.
Ideally I'd like these centrepiece fish to be unusual - I've basically ruled out other gouramis and angelfish. I also have a lowish budget, which might make finding unusual fish tricky...
I'd be grateful for any of your recommendations/suggestions.
Thanks, Jon

Old 11-23-2020, 07:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Get a pair of kribensis

Old 11-24-2020, 05:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebankston View Post
Get a pair of kribensis

Hmm thank you. What is the best way to sex them? Is it important to get a male and a female?
Old 11-24-2020, 06:26 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

A m and f will get along better, but any combo will work. 2 f is better than 2 male. Oddly, the f are more colorful than the males. The males have a brighter colored tail and are bigger. But unlike some species, the f is really pretty and colorful, not drab at all

Tags
suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com