CF replacement bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was looking at the cost of bulbs, and it seems like it would cost almost as much to replace the bulbs than to buy a new light? I have one actinic and one 10k in my light, and once they go out, would it be better to switch to t5? (I know actinic doesn't do anything for freshwater)

where are you looking to buy your bulbs? Where can you find a new fixture for the same price as the replacement bulbs? t5's are better, but since you already have a PC fixture I'd hold onto it. Catalina Aquarium has some good prices on bulbs.

Hmm the price jumped dramatically. I bought my light for around $40-50, but the price for the same light (newer version) is 80$. I searched around a little more and I found 4x for 35$, but when I first started looking (ebay) bulbs were coming out for around 30$ each.

How many t5's would you need (normal or ho) to keep up with 1 65w cf?

What size PC/CF bulbs do you need? The most commonly recommended one for say a 24" 65W bulb is the GE 9325K bulb that goes for ~$10 at Lowes.

T5's are about 1.75 times as efficient as NO (normal output) bulbs, which the "1 watt per gallon" rule was based. PC/CF bulbs are about 1.35 times as efficient as NO bulbs. With that in mind, you would need approximately 75% of the wattage of a PC/CF bulb in a T5 bulb to be as efficient as a PC/CF bulb. So for example, instead of having a 48" 130W PC/CF fixture you could get the same results (or better since T5's have better depth penetration into the water) out of a 48" 100W T5 striplight.

kk thanks. I think mine are like 21" that go into a 24" fixture? And I've been reading around and it seems that the 9325 is pinkish in color? I can't seem to find the lights on the lowes website, and when I looked around, people were saying this bulb was over 30$, but the price could have dropped.

I think you are right on the length...they are 21" rather than 24". I think you are right about the pink color too but the plants can still use it. Here's a cool link I found really quick: Planted 90 gallon - Page 2

The bulb should be around $10 and not $30. The Coralife replacement ones are $30 each though.

You can also order PC bulbs from AHSupply. I think my last bulb was beteen $15 and $20. They carry lots of different light spectra in the 4 pin in a row configuration because that fits their kits.

Back
Top Bottom