change a portion of my gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
As the title states I want to change a portion of my gravel. I originally set up my tank as all black gravel with a nice white path, well that didnt last. That white gravel is EVERYWHERE now.

I was thinking of removing the path and just leaving the black with some spotted white areas around the plant bases.

I was simply going to just go to the $ store and buy a small strainer and pull out the white/black mix and stash it, since it has some use for a future small tank, and then just hand place straight black back in its place.

Anyone see a problem (stressed fish, etc) or a better way to do this?

thanks

Seems reasonable.

I would probably use a large cup or a pitcher depending on the size of your tank instead of a strainer. It is easy enough to replace the lost water but you don't want to let all the detritus in the gravel fall back into the tank if you can avoid it.

If the gravel is not too course then I would simply syphon out the unwanted gravel. All detritus would be cleanly removed at the same time. Top up your gravel with very well washed gravel. I would use a tube, such as from a gravel cleaner, drop the new gravel down the tube directing it to the desired location.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom