change filter media before cycle completes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agentgreen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so i was at the pet store the other day, and noticed on the back of the filter media i was looking at, that you should change your filter every 2-4 weeks...I'm still cycling, and its been about 3 weeks now....should i wait to change out my filter media until my tank has cycled? I'm just thinking about all the bacteria that might have already formed on the filter....what is your normal filter change out times?

Filter companies would just LOVE for you to do that because it keeps you spending money :) The truth it, all you need to do is rinse the media in used tank water, and put it right back in the filter. Then, you get to save a lot of money, and, you keep your beneficial bacteria. I have been using the same media for 8 months now, maybe a bit longer. I am just now starting to think about replacing it because the sponge is breaking down.

It is a good idea to give it a rinse once a week or so to keep it clear, and follow the advice above. While you are cycling, though, don't do anything with the filter at all. I have seen cycles come to a screeching halt from gravel vacs and filter maintenance done during the cycle.

that's what i thought....

now i can say to my gf HAHA! since i told her that, and she said no! hehe

may i add to rinse it in tank water? once a week? haven't replaced anything but the charcoal in mine in over 4 months now

hrmm, i just thought of something...i use a python to do water changes....would it be safe for me to rinse out the filter in the water that is flowing out of the faucet end when i switch the python to vacuum?

That sounds like a great idea to me, or just catch it in a bucket. Once the syphon starts you can disconnect it from the sink and put it in the tub or something. It might be that by the time you had the pad adequately rinsed your tank would have drained! :wink:

I'm sorry if I sound rude, but I dont know if I misunderstood your response TG

I don't know how many of you are familiar with the python, but I use it too and when you put it on the drain feature, the water coming out of the python is a mixture of faucet water and the aquarium water that you're draining. You see, the python uses the faucet pressure to suck the water out, and water obviously isnt going INTO the aquarium because you're draining, so it has to go somewhere; and that's out of the python drain with the aquarium water so essentially its going to contain some chlorine.

So in conclusion, If it's not too late; NO, do not rinse off your pads in that water. What I do to rinse off my pads is I keep an empty bucket next to the aquarium and I get a new plastic cup and I take out the aquarium water with it and hold the pad over the bucket and rinse them that way. Seemed like the most logical way for me.

HTH,
-Dan

I did not make it clear, so I apologize!

When I use my Python (I realize this is not how many do it, but I am used to having to conserve water) I start the syphon with the water faucet, and once the syphon has begun you do not need to keep the tap running, unless you are in a hurry and really want to blast the water out. As long as the end of the Python (the part attached to the sink) is lower than the water level of the tank, wherever in the house it may be, your syphon will continue and you can use that water, sans tap water, to rinse your filter. It is then that I disconnect it from the sink and move it over to drain in the tub if I want to collect some of the water to use on my houseplants.

Fishalicious, you are never rude, and since lots of folks read these threads and learn from them it pays to be concise in responding. :)

is there a chance of collecting a piece of hose from the depot about 5 ft long to oull 2 gall out with? I made a python and have some extra hose if ya want it,,?!
T.G.-- do your plants respond well to the tank water?

My plants used to get Miracle Gro before I got the bright idea to use tank water, and let me tell you the plants go nuts over that high nitrate tank water. My sisters even come over with gallon jugs for me to fill so they can use on their plants - they see such an improvement in growth that they'd rather tote it over in milk jugs than buy a fertilizer product. Lately my high light big tank does not have hardly any nitrate at water changes (I have to dose it) so I'm gonna have to start charging them :wink:

just tell your sisters to put alot of leaves in a pond. and when it turns brown it'll have tons of nitrates :D

thanks for confirming something i had been wondering about tankgirl....the turning off the faucet after the sump gets going....i will try that later this week, if not tonight....my nitrite levels have finally jumped! my 4 danios are taking the hit like a champ, as well as the one guppy fry who was born second day in my tank....that little guy is the last remaining survivor of 4 fry....if he grows up, i shall name him Ninja! hehe :p

Back
Top Bottom