Change of plans, Nitrogen cycle.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettakeeper27

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am pretty well aware of the nitrigen cycle. I have a 2.5 gallon tank and I am wanting to get a betta. It has been runnning for two days now, and went out and got an API master test kit, and an API stress zyme bottle. WHen can I add my fish and what should I do to start my bio filter with stress zyme and maintane it? Thanks.

Bettakeeper27 said:
I am pretty well aware of the nitrigen cycle. I have a 2.5 gallon tank and I am wanting to get a betta. It has been runnning for two days now, and went out and got an API master test kit, and an API stress zyme bottle. WHen can I add my fish and what should I do to start my bio filter with stress zyme and maintane it? Thanks.

Hi Bettakeeper, the API test kit is fantastic. It will give you great and accurate results. As for the stress zyme...it can make a nice door stop, paper holder, maybe stick a couple flowers in it to look pretty, but as far as aquarium usage, it really doesn't serve a purpose. It claims to have live beneficial bacteria...but that is not the whole story. I don't want to get too in depth with the different types of bacteria that are manufactured and placed into bottles, but none actually contain the true, natural, nitrifying bacteria which is required to have a cycled tank which is safe for your fish.

Many of the products that are sold claim to "instantly cycle" an aquarium, but it is not that simple. While there are certain brands people have seen measured success with, almost all others are either a waste of money or can produce an unstable bio-filter which can potentially crash and cause trouble for your fish.

The Best way, IMO, to prepare and ensure an aquarium is safe for fish, shrimp, snails, etc... Is by doing a fishless cycle. The only products you need to do this are a bottle of pure ammonia and a good test kit (which you already have).

I know you've seen the guide in my signature and got some info, but I hope you can maybe get your dad to read it over and get an idea of what all goes into cycling a tank. There are other ways to cycle a tank other than fishless, but cycling your tank with fish in it can be very bad and damaging for your fish. They are exposed to high levels of ammonia and nitrItes which will burn and scar their gills permanently.

It is possible to do a fish-in cycle to grow beneficial bacteria to help keep your fish from suffering, but it takes much longer and also requires almost daily water changes to keep the levels of ammo and no2 from being damaging to your Betta.

If you have the option to do a fishless cycle...it is almost no work, only a couple water changes, no suffering fish involved. All you need to do is buy a bottle of pure ammonia (free of perfumes, detergents, surfactants, etc...) and add some of it in. The ammonia will simulate having a fish and the tank will stabilize and be safe for when your fish move in.

It takes some commitment and caring to make sure you build a safe and happy home for your fish, but I'm sure if you can show your dad the benefits of fishless cycling as opposed to putting a fish through a potentially dangerous and harmful experience...I'm sure he will understand the process and be proud of you that you care about fish enough to follow it through.

Feel free to have you or your dad ask me any other questions you guys have :)

Last edited:
I have to put a plug in here, but I think a lot of people would agree that 2.5 gallons isn't large enough for a betta to live happily... is there any way you can get a 5 gallon?

Rosenweiss said:
I have to put a plug in here, but I think a lot of people would agree that 2.5 gallons isn't large enough for a betta to live happily... is there any way you can get a 5 gallon?

Agreed, and it was recommended in a previous thread. Since he's a young fella :), he's got to save up some allowance to upgrade to a 5 soon. I still think some Red Cherry Shrimp would be great in this tank and hold off on the Betta until the bigger tank is set up.

Ohhhh, okay. Cool! RCS would do, or ghost shrimp for something easy and less expensive!

I don't know what is considered fish happiness, but yeah. A 2.5g isn't ideal for most fish. It's definitely not my favorite size tank, but I think a betta would be fine in one. But hey, that's subjective and just my opinion.

My betta has been way more active since I moved him from the little 6g fluval chi into the 125g, so maybe that's the size tank he needs :D it's funny watching him traverse the tank from end to end.

There's a few other nanos that would work, least killies and pygmy killies come to mind.

Back
Top Bottom