Changing 30 gallon aquariums... good idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andyvette

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have decided to switch 30 gallon tanks. It seems like it will be much better of an idea...
Here are the differences-

Current Hood- Old plastic one w/ 1 18watt light
New Hood- Eclipse Hood w/ 2 18watt lights (and black! it matches)

Current filter- Aquaclear 50
New filter- Eclipse hood w/ biowheel and media

The tank that came with the eclipse (even though the same dimisions, but it matches) is about 10 years newer also. So the hood, the tank, and the lights are why I chose this hood instead of the other one.

Also, I know the filter isn't as good, but I had a question about the biowheel and filter.... What the heck is it? The only other downfall is that the tank was saltwater, so I am going to run the filter for a couple days, and clean the tank THOROUGHLY. Suggestions on how to clean everything. The salt is everywhere, but seems like with a glass polishing (TINY TINY abrasives- no scratches), I can get it off. Tell me what ya'll think.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

you need to be carefull cleaning that eclipse tank, its acrylic. I would try vinigar (it should desolve the salt just fine).

See if you cant just get a new bio-wheel.

AshleyNicole said:
why not keep both tanks???

I would love to keep all 5 tanks I have! (6 gallon quarantine, 2 30 gallons, 50 gallon long, 100 gallon tall) But unfortunately, my fiancee will kill me (plus, we dont have the space for all the tanks), so one 30 gallon has to go, and the 50 gallon is getting sold also :(
So I picked tanks based on asthetic reasons.

The Eclipse tank is glass.... definately. I wish it was acrylic, it might be lighter ;)

oh there's always room for more tanks.... sell the kitchen table, couch, etc. :p

Got it switched. It looks awesome. Nice lighting for a couple 18 watters, and I like the all enclosed. Saves alot of room (about 3"), and is quiet because of a lid. I ordered a new biowheel and media, so when those come in, the cycle shall start. Im gonna go the shrimp route.

If you can cancel the order, you don't really need a new biowheel. They are supposed to last almost indefinitely. You can just clean it if you want to with water.

But there is something to be said for just having everything new from the beginning, so it won't matter either way.

Have fun!

I don't know If I would want to risk the elements (heavy metals for one) that come in SW for the cost of a replacement bio-wheel.

Back
Top Bottom