Changing Filter Cartridge Legitemcy.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So in about 2 weeks I am going to "have to" change my filter's cartridge(blug faomy thing with black rocks in it) to perform "regular" maintenance, but i thought the whole point was to build up bacteria and if i swap it out there goes the good bacteria.? ANy opinions?

What kind of filter? Most of us just wash our filter inserts out. I haven't changed my sponge or ceramic bio media in... forever? I just rinse out the sponge once every couple months.

EDIT: If the black rocks are carbon, and you are running carbon for a reason, then YES you do actually have to change it once a month (more like once every 2 weeks or less if you want it to be effective).

Yeah, don't rinse it out with tap water, you'll loose a lot of your good bacteria. I just swish it around in the bucket of old water.

Filter is a topfin 40. Iknwo sucks came with the tank. i might a marieland emporer 280 but it was too loud for me.I was considering upgrading to something by aqueon. but i want that thing to be silent which is why i like my tank's filter

I have a tetra "whipser" and an Aqueon quietflow, and my aqueon is much quieter (near-silent). However, the aqueon is much smaller, and newer, so those could be factors.

There's no need to replace the filter cartridges until they're falling apart or so blocked up that you can't clean them effectively. The "maintenance" schedule is just a good way for companies to sell cartridges.

+1 for the AquaClears. The smaller ACs are nearly silent. I have an AC30 and an AC50 that hardly make any noise. My AC70 makes a hum that you can hear in my quiet basement, but I think it's a little out of level. All three filters do a really good job.

The elements in that filter can be reused, but the carbon inside is of little use other than a a bio bed once it is exhausted. There is some question as to whether carbon leaches out contaminants after it is finished adsorbing. You can remove the carbon and replace it with batting or something similar. Toss the batting when cleaning and add new, using the original wrap to contain it. I have done this with Whispers.

EDIT: If the black rocks are carbon, and you are running carbon for a reason, then YES you do actually have to change it once a month (more like once every 2 weeks or less if you want it to be effective).
yea carbon is only good for a week or two before it gets used up. in most tanks there no real reason to use it.

There's no need to replace the filter cartridges until they're falling apart or so blocked up that you can't clean them effectively. The "maintenance" schedule is just a good way for companies to sell cartridges.

+1 for the AquaClears. The smaller ACs are nearly silent. I have an AC30 and an AC50 that hardly make any noise. My AC70 makes a hum that you can hear in my quiet basement, but I think it's a little out of level. All three filters do a really good job.

Allow me to take what BigJim says here and possibly clarify or adapt on it. There really is no reason (unless they are falling apart) to replace your filter media, but in your case it sounds like you have a carbon filled insert and if that is the case then 2-3 weeks is good for a filter insert change as you dont want to leave the carbon in there too long or it will start to leace back into the water.

+1 for what bigjim said about aquaclears and i have a few and can contest to their quietness and AWESOME filtering power for their price.

you dont want to leave the carbon in there too long or it will start to leace back into the water.
i believe this is a common mistake. carbon needs high heat to release what its collected.

the figure i remember off hand is 2000 degrees... i mean really heated.... if it was the case that it releases you can just toss them in some clean water leech out and be able to reuse it.

edit...

1. Physical reactivation: The precursor is developed into activated carbons using gases. This is generally done by using one or a combination of the following processes:
    • Carbonization: Material with carbon content is pyrolyzed at temperatures in the range 600–900 °C, in absence of air (usually in inert atmosphere with gases like argon or nitrogen)
    • Activation/Oxidation: Raw material or carbonised material is exposed to oxidizing atmospheres (carbon dioxide, oxygen, or steam) at temperatures above 250 °C, usually in the temperature range of 600–1200 °C.
  2. Chemical activation: Prior to carbonization, the raw material is impregnated with certain chemicals. The chemical is typically an acid, strong base, or a salt (phosphoric acid, potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, zinc chloride, respectively). Then, the raw material is carbonized at lower temperatures (450–900 °C). It is believed that the carbonization / activation step proceeds simultaneously with the chemical activation. Chemical activation is preferred over physical activation owing to the lower temperatures and shorter time needed for activating material.

I have a Tetra Whisper 60 that is absolutely silent. As long as the water level is up high enough, if the water level drops enough then it is a little louder but I actually like the white noise. Helps me sleep. I also have an Aqua Tech 5-15 on my 10 which is silent as well. I can hear the air pump more than the filter, and only if I am close enough.

Once upon a time I used Tetra Filters, I always opened the cartridges and removed the carbon. The cartridges open up clam shell style, and can be reloaded with any cut sponge/padding or loose floss.
As for replacing medias, only if they're falling apart... Rinse well and reuse.

AquaClear HOB's for the win.
You can fit tons of almost any media ya wish in their media box, and they're next to none with their flowrates... Quite too.

I am currently using Aqueon filters (for my Aqueon pump) which have carbon in them. If I want to make my own filters without carbon, what would be a good material?

The elements in that filter can be reused, but the carbon inside is of little use other than a a bio bed once it is exhausted. There is some question as to whether carbon leaches out contaminants after it is finished adsorbing. You can remove the carbon and replace it with batting or something similar. Toss the batting when cleaning and add new, using the original wrap to contain it. I have done this with Whispers.

In my Hobs I take out the carbon and fill it with filter floss. Up to you though.

the figure i remember off hand is 2000 degrees... i mean really heated.... if it was the case that it releases you can just toss them in some clean water leech out and be able to reuse it.

edit...

thanks for all the info and tips in this thread!! i have a tetra whisper as well and didn't really know about the carbon before. i will now be emptying out the carbon and filling with filter floss instead at the next PWC. could i then take the filter floss out a couple weeks later and replace it, to put the used one in another tank to seed it??? that would be nifty.

Found this thread while doing a search for AquaClear Filters. I have an AquaClear 70 on my 29g, so when I needed a filter for my QT I bought an AquaClear30. After I set it up (very easy), I read the instructions :) and it says to replace the certain media at certain times. WHAT?! My LFS told me to never replace the BioMax (the little white balls). So that's why I searched, just to see what the rest of y'all do :)

But I did want to give MHO on the AquaClear filters. I've had my tank set up since March and I love the filter. It's so quiet and easy to clean.

Back
Top Bottom