Changing filter - hurt BB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jordanleigh1990

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm fairly new at this so be gentle. ?

I have a 20 cycled tank and I'm wanting to replace the filter.

I'm currently running an Aqueon QuietFlow 20, but I'm making the trip tomorrow to purchase a Fluval AquaClear 30. My tank has been cycled for a couple of months (Ammonia/Nitrites at 0), so I'm terrified of messing up my BB.

The current Aqueon filter has a floss filter pouch with only carbon as well as a couple plastic grids (similar to honey comb pattern) to allow BB to grow. So I technically don't have any transferable filter media, because these grids obviously wouldn't fit into the Fluval.

I've attached a photo of my tank below. Do you think enough BB is in the substrate and artificial driftwood/plants? I keep a bottle of TSS on hand in case of an emergency, like mini cycles or something. Would it be beneficial to go ahead and add that after the filter upgrade?

Any suggestions? ?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1460770523.358724.jpg

If you omit the carbon pouch in the AC30, you might have room for the plastic grid from the original filter.
Or you could run both filters for a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I can't run them both, because the lid only has a cut out for one. I have cats as well, and if be terrified of taking the lid off.

But maybe I could find a way to get the grid into the AC30. I don't know, though, it's pretty wide. Maybe I could break it up into smaller chunks with a hammer...?

Either way, I just don't want set back my tank back to my prior knowledge of the nitrogen cycle. Those were some scary days.

can you place the grids near the filter intake?,maybe attach it to a suction cup with a cable tie...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I ended up breaking the grid into four smaller pieces and placed them in the filter basket along with the sponge and the bag of bio max the filter came with.

About how long do you think I should let it run with the broken bits from the old filter?

I'll probably be checking my parameters EOD to be safe.

Did you save the filter floss from aqueon and add to new filter?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yah... that biological grid is more gimmick than anything. The majority of bb in a newer filter will be in that floss. Watch your levels closely. You may mini cycle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hmm, that's good to know. I have an API test kit and a bottle of TSS just in case. I'll check water daily.

Back
Top Bottom