Changing Filter Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RussellC

Aquarium Advice Freak
Right now, my new goldfish tank is still cycling fish-in (tank about 6 weeks old), but down the road I'm thinking of swapping out the carbon for additional filter media (going to wait until the cycle has been established in a while, though, as some of the bacteria could be trying to colonize the carbon bags - made the mistake of swapping out the carbon at week 3 and set myself back a bit).

When the time comes, does the type of media matter? I'm guessing not since it's just a structure that the bacteria adhere to, but I want to double-check.

I'm running a Marineland C-220 canister. For those unfamiliar, from bottom to top it's:

Large-gauge mechanical filter pad (traps bigger particles)
Carbon bags
Bio-balls
Ceramic rings
Filter floss (polishing) pad (traps the smaller particles)

Other than waiting for an established cycle, and only swapping out one of the two carbon bags at a time, does the replacement media matter? More ceramic rings? Some sponge? Take my pick?

Thanks. :)

Take your pick! I prefer Bio rings. I like that the ceramic has thousands of pores for colonization. The more Bio the better, and you still may be able to squeeze another sponge in there! You should go ahead and add media now, to seed it and then in a few weeks you can take your carbon out as you wish. That's exactly what I've done and have never had problems.

You may as well do it and take the hit now. Even after you have completed your "cycle" the tank will still not be well established for a few months and you will likely take a hit anyway. IMO, best to get it out of the way now. Alternatively, you could hang some bio media next to your intake for a couple of weeks to get it seeded.

Alternatively, you could hang some bio media next to your intake for a couple of weeks to get it seeded.

Thanks to each of you for the feeback!

Just hit me that the above is probably what I should do with the filter media if I ever do need to put the carbon back in for med removal. :)

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom