Changing Filter Media/Carbon Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just need a second opinion on this.

So today I finally got the plants for my new 38 gallon build. HURRAY!!! So I started cycling today with pure ammonia, and to help seed the bacteria I wanted to get some filter media from another tank to help out. Since the only other cycled freshwater tanks of mine are my 2.5 gallon betta tanks, I snipped a quarter off of the filter pads (they're super tiny for an Azoo Palm Filter) and stuck them in the filter in my new tank.

Now that I've cut a piece off the pads in both filters, the pads have begun to fall apart and there's a sufficient portion of water going through uncleaned. I decided that it was time to change the filter pads.

Now I know that changing it too quickly causes a mini cycle, and I care about my little precious bettas too much to allow it! So my course of action is to stick the new media in with the old and put the new media in front of of the old so that the beneficial bacteria has a chance to populate on the new pad. I plan to leave it there for about 2-4 weeks and then I'll take out the old media. Is this a good course of action? I just wanted a second opinion on this to make sure I'm doing it right, since I've never replaced the pads in my betta tanks yet.

Now, I just have one more question. The filter pad that came with my filter for my 38 gallon build contains carbon in it. I don't really know what this means, but I've heard that carbon needs to be changed often. Obviously, I can't change the filter pad every 2 weeks. What should I do about the carbon in the filter pad? If I just leave it after it needs changing, will it pollute my water?

Thank you!

It will be ok to use it. Carbon is used to remove things like medications after a few days it can't soak anymore up and it releases it back into the water column. Bit it can build BB on it so just leave it in for now. Most people don't use carbon at all

Okay thank you. I'll just leave it there. And what do you think about the filter pad changing?

Bettafanatic said:
Okay thank you. I'll just leave it there. And what do you think about the filter pad changing?

I don't replace mine till it falls apart the rest of the time I just swish it around in a bucket of old tank water to rinse it.

During a cycle I wouldn't replace it because then your throwing out the bacteria your trying to get the filter to build

Last edited:
No i mean the media in my Betta tanks because those pads are indeed falling apart now. I was just wondering if I'm doing the right method of changing them which I mentioned in the first post

I think you are doing it right. I would just leave the old pad in for at least 2 weeks even longer would be better.

Back
Top Bottom