Changing Filter Sponge HELP :+)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1FatFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am going to need to change my filter sponge soon. It's an aquaclear 500.
Questions is, I know I am NOT suppose to just drop in a new one since the old one has all the 'good' bacteria in it. How do I go about changing my sponge then? Please help.

Thank you all,
Richie

Why change?
Give it a rinse in water taken from the aquarium, and pop back in. Or if it simply must go, see if you can't run the old and new side by side for a while. Failing that, cut both the new and old one into two and stuff both the new and old one in. It's a valuable colony you've grown on your sponge. I wouldn't want to let it be lost. Jeff

Thank you.

I just thought that every so often the filter has to be changed. Say every 5 months or so.
When the time comes I will just cut it in 2 like you reccomended.

By the way, I should have no problems just swapping out the carbon media etc right?

Regards,
Richie

The carbon can simply be thrown away and replaced. It won't hurt your good bacteria. I don't run carbon every day, so I'm not sure when to replace it. If you're not using it to remove medicines, I would say every week or two, or whenever the water loses that "crystal clear" look. If the water looks yellowish, then the carbon is definitely old!

you know i cant even tell my water is yellow till i pour it out.
i agree also with jeff. in fact if you start a new tank you can bring a handful of substrate and/or part of an establihed filter media and it will seed your tank like crazy i feel if this is done right you can close to having bio spira, very mini cycle, and it works at least as fast as fishless cycling.

I think with carbon, if you let it stay in too long it actually starts putting bad stuff back into the water. Change it about every 4 weeks, minimum. I only run carbon when I'm having a water problem. It also removes meds from the water, but luckily I haven't needed it for that yet.

I have 3 things in my filter.

1 sponge
1 bag with white rocks
1 bag with black rocks

What do they black and white rocks do?
Do I need them in their ??

Thank you all..

Richie

Back
Top Bottom