Changing fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dollzy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 60l which has been set up since May, it has 4 Corys & a Pleco in the right now, just yesterday I did a waterchange and netted out probably around 40 Platy, some just turned adults, two elders and A LOT of fry all different ages. I took them to my local (amazing) fish store and they kindly adopted them from me.

My question is how long now shall I wait to put in new fish or other things?

I was thinking of getting a pair of gourami, a load of shrimp and more rabbit snails and possibly another Pleco.

I’m guessing two weeks as a generally rule of thumb but what do you think?

First peice of advice is if it's a common pleco rehome it NOW. The only plecos small enough for your size tank, that I know of are Bristle Nose or Clown. Commons start off an adorable 4" and WILL become 15"+ monsters, I AM speaking from personal experience.
Gourami will eat or harass most shrimp except maybe some larger Amanos, but most Amanos I have seen for sale in stores are definitely NOT large enough.
Personally I'd add 2 more Cories with the Gourami and depending on how many Rabbits you have already maybe 4 total

First peice of advice is if it's a common pleco rehome it NOW. The only plecos small enough for your size tank, that I know of are Bristle Nose or Clown. Commons start off an adorable 4" and WILL become 15"+ monsters, I AM speaking from personal experience.
Gourami will eat or harass most shrimp except maybe some larger Amanos, but most Amanos I have seen for sale in stores are definitely NOT large enough.
Personally I'd add 2 more Cories with the Gourami and depending on how many Rabbits you have already maybe 4 total

The Panic I just had! PHEW I did know this about Plecos I must have forgotten somewhere in my mind why it was okay for mine - She’s a Bristlenose thank goodness! I’ll take the tip with the gourami & shrimp! I do have some shrimp in a nano tank with some cherry barbs so I’ll have to keep them in there. But fab advise, definitely depends on what the store has in stock at the time in terms of size for sure. I have one rabbit in there at the minute so another 3! Brill, and I did originally have 6 [emoji22] May get some more :)

Do you think a pair of gourami is enough? I found some gorgeous rose coloured ones.

Part of me really wanted a giant pleco I did wonder how big mine would get I’ll look that up!

I decided I will wait the two weeks as to not stress out the fish as I’m sure the netting of the platys was quite stressful for them!

Thanks for reply!

Your Bristle will get about 5". Just a word of caution - NO fish is shrimp safe so while you may not SEE your Barbs harassing/eating your shrimp (mainly fry juveniles and freshly molted adults) I can guarantee they are. As long as you are aware this is happening fine, but if you thought the shrimp weren't breeding or were just disappearing you'd be wrong

Back
Top Bottom